The Real Reasons You Love Rewatching Shows So Much

We all do it, but why?

34
Black flat screen TV in the background with a person's feet propped up on a table in the foreground.

I'm the type of person who continuously watches my favorite shows on repeat, even if I remember every single plot twist or conversation. And I've been wondering why that is. Why do I choose to go back to the same old movies and TV shows when there are so many other ones to watch?

And as I thought about it more, I realized I like re-experiencing a show mainly for its characters. I really enjoy seeing how the characters have grown throughout time, especially since I already know what happens to them along the way.

But besides that, there are more scientific reasons why our brains cling to old TV shows, one being nostalgia. Know that feeling when you hear a song from your childhood or hear the intro to one of your favorite childhood TV shows? (Victorious is definitely one of them for me.) That nostalgic feeling is what your brain craves, and that's a big reason why you might be watching the first season of New Girl for the tenth time.

Watching a show you've already seen can also be calming - since you know what to expect, you won't be on the edge of your seat, waiting to see if your favorite character's going to be killed off the show or will miraculously escape at the last second. You might think this would make rewatching less fun, but it's actually soothing for our minds. We don't have to pay that much attention to what's going on since nothing can really surprise us.

It's interesting to see there are some actual reasons why we might want to rewatch all the Harry Potter movies or see all seven seasons of Gilmore Girls again, besides the fact that we just feel like it. I, for one, will probably never get tired of seeing them all again . . . and science says you won't either.