The Pros And Cons Of Transitioning From College Life To Home Life

You miss dining hall food? Good one.

57
OZinOH

Being away at College is fun and all, but to quote Dorthy Gale, "There's no place like home."

In saying that, coming home after a year away at college is amazing, but as I have learned, it also comes with a bunch of changes... some of which are not always the most favorable. Therefore, I have compiled a "Pros and Cons" list of returning home after a year away at college.

Cons:

1. It is time to grow up.

Parents do not treat you the way they did in high school, meaning you have more responsibilities. 9 times out of 10, if you want something your parents won't buy it for you.

2. You miss the college lifestyle.

Not being able to do what you want whenever you want is hard. No more late night food runs, staying up until the early morning hours talking with friends, or going out at night and not having to ask for permission.

3. You miss your college friends.

Going from seeing your best friends every day to not seeing them at all just stinks. Things happen at home that you immediately just want to run to their room and tell them about, but you realize you would now be running 723 miles, instead of 20 feet.

4. Realizing how much you miss your school.

College becomes a second home. You begin to miss the atmosphere, the scenery and the people who make it so special. Let the countdown until move in begin!

Pros:

1. Not suffering through the cringeworthy dining hall food on the daily.

It is so nice to come home to fresh fruit and other options. To say the least it's very refreshing. As some would say, there is nothing like a home-cooked meal.

2. Showering without sandals.

Although this may seem like a small pet peeve to some, not squishing around the shower in your flip flops is a blessing in disguise. It is stress-relieving to know that I will not be at risk of catching some infectious disease every time I step into the shower, just in case I happen to forget to wear flip flops.

3. Reuniting with Friends.

There is no better feeling than realizing nothing has changed after reuniting with your friends from home. Que the bonfires, spontaneous adventures, and pool parties, please.

4. Not stressing about grades, projects, exams, papers etc.

Being away from all the stress and anxiety schoolwork causes is just better for your health. If you don't believe me, ask your doctor.

5. Returning to the place you know best, your home.

There's nothing like driving down the street passing your old hangouts, knowing where everything is, and feeling immediately relieved when you pass the sign saying "Welcome to ______."

To quote Pliny The Elder, "Home is where the heart is". There are more pros on this list than cons for a reason. College is great and such an amazing experience, but being home for the summer is like going on a 12-week long vacation in your own house... one in which you never want to leave. In saying that, enjoy this summer because I can guarantee you it will fly by.