The Powerhouse 8: Changing The Narrative

Another great website by another amazing human being that I just had to write about.

23
The Powerhouse 8

If you know me, you know that I said 2017 would be a year that I wanted to make big things happen, come out of my comfort zone, and be more involved. I was going to be more organized, network and make more connections with people on and off campus, and find a new job and the list goes on. I started to come out of my comfort zone when I pledged Alpha Kappa Psi Professional Business Fraternity last fall. Alpha Kappa Psi is the largest and oldest business fraternity which is co-ed and welcomes all majors. I knew that I was going to improve as a person, but I didn't know that I would gain so much from the experience. With my process, I gained the skills to enhance myself professionally, set me apart from others, and gave me the confidence to speak up. I also gained a family, 20 brothers to be exact and of course, the brothers who were already in the phenomenal Psi Sigma chapter at UNCG.

All of my brothers in some way, shape, or form helped me to come out of my comfort zone and helped me become a better person during our process together. One brother specifically was Antonio Roberson, one of the most craziest, driven, ambitious and talented individuals I've ever met. Antonio has a lot going for him. He is a senior studying Information Systems and Supply Chain Management who is also pursuing a minor in Communications. He knows how to catch someone's eye with his marketing skills. He is the president of Activities and Campus Events, a 2016 Golden Chain Honor Society Inductee and a 2016 Spartan of Promise recipient. Now all of these things make me a happy and proud brother, but I think I was even more proud of Antonio when he founded the Powerhouse 8.

The Powerhouse 8 is a new website that is meant for uplifting and inspiring the African American community to value and see the power behind their voice. Antonio says "I understand that with recent events, our culture's voice has been saturated with drama, shade, and memes. It's my mission to change that narrative, inspire new perspectives, and show that we can have a platform to be expressive, to let our thoughts go freely and share our beautiful minds with the world." The website isn't your typical website. It offers tips on fashion, different views on politics, words of inspiration, news on new music that drops, and the list goes on. Antonio and the content creators of the Powerhouse 8 (one of them being me!) want to innovate and inspire greatness in our community. Antonio says "Many times we are rejected, underestimated, and undervalued. Our time is now to bring new life to the value of the African American opinion."

I believe with every fiber of my being that this is a wonderful website that inspires and empowers anyone that views it. I am so proud of Antonio and anybody who contributes to the Powerhouse 8. Be sure to check us out online at www.powerhouseeight.com and follow us on social media! The Instagram is thepowerhouse8 and the Twitter is @Powerhouse_8.