The Power Of Words In Healing

The Power Of Words In Healing

No one can write your story, so write it yourself.

16
The Power Of Words In Healing

Most writers, like myself, often find writing to be of high therapeutic value. It is a release of pain and of energy, conscious or otherwise.

We write to heal and help others, yes, and most often write for others. And yes, I could each week write out an article that would fit for the general public, but I chose not to. As a matter of fact, I almost refuse.

I write about me because I believe strongly in the power of telling one’s own story, and owning that story. Owning that pain. Releasing one’s own energy. But of course I attempt at making it as relatable as possible.

But I believe more so in that each person who reads my articles may find something in it that fits them, while also learning about me. Not the real me, because these are just typed up words, but about my perspective. It offers a sense of uniqueness that articles intended to only fit whoever the reader may be do not.

It gives a sense of personalization – the entire purpose of therapeutic value. To be heard and understood by others, and on a great day and with a great article feel validated. Not in that you had a good article and that your words themselves were great, though that may be the case, but that the message hit home for its reader. That your personal story helped someone else, rather than your experience of which you made impersonal to fit many others.

There is nothing wrong with an article that doesn’t use I, or is completely geared towards the experience of the reader. But I feel that those articles are for popularity and not the sharing of personal ideas and knowledge – less humanistic and more scientific.

I want to write my story, not write someone else’s. Not because I do not want to do the work for them, but because I hope that my story, my experiences, will empower someone else to develop their writing and be gifted by the outcomes of sharing and describing their own.

I want them to feel that release of energy, of pain, of anger. To let go. Because reading the words is great, and provides validation. But writing them, or typing them, is what creates that release. That power.