The Millennial Problem

The Millennial Problem

Are we helping or hurting?

4
The Millennial Problem
The Washington Free Beacon

Whether you're feeling the Bern, or standing with her, the 2016 democratic nominee will be forced to face a lengthy uphill battle against the Republican nominee, Donald Trump. Most of you weren't alive when Jessie Jackson faced Massachusetts Governor Michael Dukakis in 1988 or the following electing when independent Ross Perot disrupted the election between the Democratic nominee Arkansas Governor Bill Clinton and incumbent President George H.W. Bush.

The 1988 and 1992 elections showed the American people the kind of destructive force that an "outsider candidate" could have on the election process.

1988, entering the convention Jessie Jackson has 33% of the pledged delegate vote. Nothing he could do would afford him the nomination, so he used his influence on and his support to unite the party and push for a more liberal agenda. This is similar to the current situation happening with Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders and Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. Bernie has pushed the Democratic National Committee platform further left, which is going to hurt the Democratic Parties ability to reach moderates across the aisle. This effect should make for a competitive election in the fall.

Back tracking to the 1992 election Republican incumbent President Bush faced Governor Clinton. Both candidates were very strong competitors, but pundits believed the election was likely able to be called in favor of the incumbent. However, there was an unexpected variable. Write in candidate businessman Ross Perot disrupted the Republican Party paving the way to a Clinton victory. The concept of the write-in campaign, which many believe is showing its ugly head again, in respect to Senator Sanders, is going to hand the presidency to many people biggest nightmare, the Donald.

To all Millennials who want to be a part of a revolution, do not jeopardize your future for the potential of a Sanders or Clinton presidency. The outcome will leave you disheartened ending up with President Trump. Vote for whoever the nominee is for your respective party, and don't do a write in.