The Importance Of Checking In With Your Friends

A quick "how are you doing" text never hurt anyone

78
https://unsplash.com/photos/Fg632J5h-hk

Just about everyone knows that being there for your friends is so important. This can include when they are going through a hard time in their family, a break up, and everything else in between. Something that a lot of us fail to do is check up on people,even if we don't talk to them as often as we used to.

Checking up on people is very important because it shows the other person you still care. Random check ins on your friends at school, at home, and wherever else they are remind them that someone is there for them and that someone does care.

A lot of the time, people who become distant don't talk to each other anymore, sometimes never speak again. It may seem weird to text them randomly to see how they are doing, but it really isn't. Chances are you still care about that person, even if you hardly talk to each other anymore. Texting someone just to ask how they are doing or how their day has been could re-establish a connection. It could turn into another friendship. Most importantly, it could show the other person that they are not alone and there are people out there who care about them.

Many of us don't check in with people as often as we should because we feel like it would be awkward to randomly start talking to someone who you became distant with again. It might feel awkward, but that is the worst it could feel. Most of the time, the other person won't think it's awkward at all. The worst that could happen is they don't reply.

There is no shame in checking in with someone you don't talk to much anymore. Showing someone you care, and going the extra mile could be a great thing for both you and them. It doesn't take much to send your best friend from high school a quick text asking how they are. Check in with your friends today, just ask them how they're doing. You might not know it, but you could make their day.