The Huh Challenge

The Huh Challenge

Because humiliating people is totally hilarious, right? WRONG.

68
The Huh Challenge
Holly Page

It seems as if a new viral trend pops up every couple of months. And they’re usually pretty humorous and innocent. For example: The Bottle Flipping Challenge, The Ice Bucket Challenge, and then the old classic, planking. But, over the past few weeks I’ve seen a new trend floating around the internet that is anything but humorous or innocent. This trend is called the “Huh Challenge”.

If you aren’t already familiar with this challenge, I’ll provide you the basic gist. The person who is recording, usually at school, approaches his classmates and imitates them and insults them in front of a crowd of people. Example: “My name is John, and I bring water to school so that people think I’m healthy”. Now, this is the most innocent one that I have heard of so far, but most of them make known the person’s sexual habits, not so good character traits, along with adding in hateful comments about their appearance or race. It honestly makes me think, “My name is Mr. Meanie-pants, and I think it’s funny to publicly embarrass people and make them feel like trash.” (Though, I would never actually say that… Okay.. Maybe I would if I came across someone making one of these videos… But, I think in that circumstance it may be acceptable.)

This challenge makes my temper boil every time I come across yet another video of it. I want to know why in the world putting people down is being encouraged?? Why would any person actively desire to seek out his or her classmates and publicly shame them? Putting others down in a sad attempt to build yourself up will never work. I am one to tease my friends, but never to this extent. I believe that this could be classified as bullying and it needs to end.

1 Thessalonians 5:11: “Therefore encourage one another and build each other up.”

Proverbs 16:34: “Kind words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing for the body.”

Colossians 3:12 “Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.”

Instead of going around and making it a popular thing to hurt people, why not make it a point to compliment the people in your life? “My name is Jessica, and I’m really good at cooking”, “My name is Sarah, and my hair looks lovely today”. IT’S NOT HARD!! For every one insult, it’s said that 6 positive compliments are needed to repair the damage. I agree with this, but I think we need to remember that we can never ever take back the words we say. They can be forgiven, but usually not forgotten. No amount of internet popularity will be able to mend the friendships that people are damaging by participating in the insane challenge.

So, with that being said. Go! Be an encourager. Tell your best friend all the things you love about her. Tell your mom and dad that they parent you and your siblings well. Tell the person walking past you on the way to class that they have an amazing smile. We rise by lifting others, and I promise that you will never regret throwing kindness around like confetti.

P.S. I found some quotes that I thought fit this quite nicely, so here they are.

Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a battle you may know nothing about.

If the words you spoke appeared on your skin, would you still be beautiful?