The Honeymoon Phase Doesn't Last Forever. That's Okay.

I don't know who needs to hear this, but it's time to face the facts.

81

Being new to a frendship, dating relationship, or other connection can be confusing and really, really difficult. Especially if it's your first time getting close to someone-- learning how to navigate having someone else in your life is strange. At first, it's often sweet and fun and makes you a little giddy. But what happens when conflict arises? This conflict isn't necessarily in terms of arguments or incompatibility, but can often be an extenuating circumstance that you get thrown into and need to dig yourselves out of.

One such conflict that will (inevitably) happen is the cooldown. It's that phase right after the honeymoon phase--in any kind of relationship--where things get a little less exciting. You just kind of settle in and get comfortable. This is a good thing. Relationships aren't meant to be this constant high of happiness. That's unsustainable.

But sometimes it can feel like the other person--be it friend, S.O., work buddy, whatever--is losing interest. It's instinctive to want things to go back being exciting, so you work a little harder to keep them close. What we fail to recognize is that this person isn't pulling away. You both are just starting a deeper part of the relationship that doesn't depend on feeling exceedingly happy all the time.

A metaphor, if you will: You get a new book and read it once through. It's a spectacular book (and the cover looked really good, too). When it's finished, sometimes you get that depressed feeling in your gut, the feeling that everything's over and it won't be fun anymore. But that book can become your favorite when you keep reading it. It will find a special place on your bookshelf, you'll find deeper meaning, every underline or earmarked page signifying a moment when you were absolutely connected. That's what a relationship is like (in a limited way). You keep learning about each other, you keep becoming closer, and you continue meaning a lot to each other.

The honeymoon phase is good. But it's not supposed to last forever. It's time for you and me both to realize that.