From The Millennial Girl With The Tattoos

Everything I wish people understood about my tattoos.

287
Alex Hirt

The first time I told someone I was considering getting my first tattoo, they immediately said to me “Make sure to get it somewhere it can be hidden easily.”

I gave them a puzzled look, not understanding why I would want to get a tattoo that could be covered up easily. When I asked why, they told me “If you go into a job interview you’ll have an easier time hiding your tattoo if you get it in a smart location.” It didn’t make sense me to, having to get a tattoo somewhere no one could see it, or somewhere unnoticable.

I ended up getting my first tattoo on my wrist. Is it somewhere that can easily be hidden, yes. But that’s not why I have Love Always inked across my wrist. The tattoo is on my wrist because every time I go too look at my watch, I am reminded of the love my uncle had for me, and how he is always going to be with me.

A year later I decided I wanted to get another tattoo. When determining where I wanted to get it, I thought along the side of my foot would be a good idea. This way with every step that I took I would Always Stay Humble and Kind. I showed up to the tattoo parlor and told the artist where I had planned to get my tattoo. He informed me that a tattoo along the side of my foot would fade and it would be somewhat of a waste of my money. He then suggested I instead get the tattoo along the inside of my bicep. I liked the idea of this, because not only would I be able to see it more often, but it would also allow other people to see it and be reminded of the same ideas.

Before I said yes to this location, I asked around to see what the people I cared about would think of it. They all enjoyed the idea, but a similar point was brought up to me much like the first tattoo. I was told to “Remember I wasn’t yet married and that this tattoo would appear in my wedding photos.” and also “anytime I wore anything short sleeve or sleeveless someone would be able to see it.” I was okay with everyone being able to see my new tattoo, and decided the inside of my bicep was the perfect location.

I am proud to have my tattoos visible to everyone to see and I don’t ever want to hide them. The words that are inked on my skin are important to me, and that is something to be proud of. My tattoos are for me. Other people may read them, or look at them, or provide me with their opinion on them, but at the end of the day they are mine and no one else’s.

As of 2014 37% of hiring managers believe that tattoos are a physical attribute that will most likely limit your career potential. Additionally, 42 percent of people varying in age believe that tattoos in any kind of workplace are inappropriate. When I was told about these stats, I was told to be mindful of how the ink that was on my body, could potentially harm my future.

However, if my future is going to be harmed because of the words I wanted to keep with me, then I don’t believe that’s where I would want to be. If I am in an interview for a future job or an internship, before being judged because of the black font on my arm and my wrist, I would hope the interviewer would ask me about what the words. I would want the person interviewing me to ask ‘what do your tattoos mean’, I would want them to know my story.

If they ask, they would know the signature printed on my wrist is from a card a loved one had given to me. It was the last card I had received from him until he could no longer be with me. The tattoo, is in honor of him and all the love he still provides for me from up in the sky. They would know the lyrics from the Tim McGraw song that are marked on my arm, is a reminder from my mother. The song “Humble & Kind” was released right before I left for college, and my mother told me the words in the song was how she wanted me to live my life going forward.

The tattoos on my body mean the world to me, and because of that I do not feel the need to hide or cover them in any way. If someone should decide that my tattoos make me unfit for a job regardless of my academic or working abilities, that is their choice.

However, I would hope that a person would first try and understand the ink that covers my skin, rather than just judge the fact that the ink is there.