The French Fry Rule

The French Fry Rule

Borrow fries from others as you would have others borrow fries from you.

722
The French Fry Rule
PotatoPro

The ultimate moment of truth. You are sitting at the table with your uneventful lunch, when your friend sits down next to you. There, on their tray, is a mass of golden, delicious French fries. The crisp, flakey goodness captures your gaze and won't let go. All your life's regrets seem to have led up to this moment; why didn't you get French fries? If you could get just one taste, maybe your cravings would be satisfied. There's only one option... to ask your friend for one.

Needless to say, this sort of incident has probably occurred once or twice in your life. Unfortunately, there are many people who, when faced with such an important decision, will not follow the proper procedure. Don't be the monster who just snatches the fry off your friends plate. Doing so could lead to fights, silent treatment, or even termination of friendship. If you want to avoid such situations, you must simply follow some universally accepted rules.

The first step is to not panic. french fry sharing, while sometimes stressful, is a simple and calm procedure. If you are the one requesting the snack, you must make contact with its owner. It is acceptable to simply ask them, but doing so could disrupt the flow of conversation. Therefore, the proper way to signal your craving is to make pointed eye contact with the person. Once you have their attention, give them a slight nod, making sure to have a questioning look in your eyes. If they nod back, you have the all clear. If they don't, respect their decision and go get your own.

Just because you have permission doesn't mean your job is finished. You must also be careful in which fry you choose. After all, this person is sharing something special with you, so you don't want to take the best fry on the plate. Everyone has different preferences in fry types. Some like the longer, soft ones while others like the short and crispy ones. While one person may prefer the super salty ones in the middle, another may go for the outer ones with less seasoning. Unless you already know the person's type, it's better to be safe than sorry. Go for the most average fry you can find, not the longest one on the plate, but also not the shortest. If the salt is unevenly spread, try to go for one that has a medium amount. And if, while reaching for a certain fry, the original owner stops you, make sure you listen. Remember what kind of fry it was so you don't make that mistake in the future.

All in all in all, when making a french fry transaction, just remember to be respectful and follow these rules. The french fry rule can also be used for foods of other sorts, although it is not guaranteed as different foods might present certain problems. Now that you have this information, go out and enjoy a big, heaping plate of french fries. Don't forget to share with a friend!