The Enlightenment: What It Is & Why It’s Important

This time period has changed our nation as a whole, but no one really knows about it.

43

The Age of Reason or better known as the Enlightenment era was considered a period of industrialization, cultural and intellectual movements, and overall a plethora of new ideas. The rise of new ideas, freedoms, and opinions caused people to be more aware of their natural born rights, which are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness (or property). Although these rights were already previously made, they became more known and "used" during this time of evolved thinking. People became more confident in themselves and began venturing out of their comfort zone. This arose different ways of thinking, and a question of religion. Scientists like Isaac Newton brought up people to question the laws of science, such as the famous Newton's laws of gravity and motion. John Locke believed that human nature allowed people to be selfish. All of these were major factors not only in America but other countries as well.

Most people think that the movement just happened all at once, but it really happened gradually. The enlightenment started in Europe and eventually spread to America. In Europe, the most seemingly known cause was the thirty years' war. This war was massively destructive and had over eight million casualties not only from the war but from the famine and diseases caused from it as well. As the war carried on, many movements had begun to form such as different religious groups, political views, and types of governments. After the war was over, people had something to look forward to, such as the changes that their countries and societies were going through and what they could do with this new way of thinking.

These newly found ideas had set off a wave of revolution that quickly spread throughout the world. America, as a new and growing country at the time, was desperately in need of this period of Enlightenment because of our transition from King George's rule and our struggles of becoming a new nation. The Enlightenment gave us things like deism and skepticism that had major impacts on our societies during that time as well as now. These theories are only two of many that were started by this movement. The era of enlightenment caused people to be curious and explore different ways of thinking.

These reasons are what our nation is now based on. Without the enlightenment, where would we be?