One Semester Down, One to Go

When we enter the month of December, we encounter a very special time of the year. While some are decking the halls and stuffing the stockings, others are buried in piles of homework and staring at study guides until they're seeing bright lights and not just because of the increase in twinkly Christmas decorations. Finals season truly can bring out the most extreme parts of a person, but it's okay people; I'm here to look on the bright side.

The end of the semester doesn't just mean a boatload of crucial and grade-defining assessments for college and high schoolers. This halfway point in the school year shouldn't be a stressful and dreary time but a time to reflect on the past or peer ahead to the looming future. It can represent numerous things to people going through different parts of their educational process.

For the college freshman who just remarkably finished their first semester; it may not seem like as big and monumental of a moment than it actually is. By now, you might be used to your new university life and forget where you started out. Flashback to August, you were intimidated yet intrigued, hesitant yet happy, fearful yet free; I could go on and do the rest of the alphabet. Even if it seemed like you only took baby steps this semester and not graceful, galloping strides, you've changed and grown in this short timespan.

No matter the outcomes of a few sheets of paper covered in tight rows of bubbles that we stress so hard over, count this semester as a success and only just the beginning.

For the high school senior who has been counting down the days since last May but is now noticing just how low that number is becoming, don't let go of high school too fast. The minute you triumphantly finish your last final and get ready to celebrate not just the long break but the beginning of the end, don't forget to cherish the time you have left. As much as you want to get out of that bell-ringing penitentiary that you've been forced to attend the last four years, nothing beats some of those small, insignificant moments of high school. Savor them while they are still happening.

That last semester of high school might be the most relaxing or intense of your life. Things are going to be changing so fast and figuring out that perfect college can be a tricky business; believe me. Look forward to the rapidly decreasing amount of high school you have left, not for how soon you'll be free but for the things that are still to come. Bask in the here and now, because it's so hard to keep your mind on right now when your future is nipping at your heels.

These same ideas of being the kings of the school ready to ditch their trusty castle or the lowly freshman peasants just trying to survive in a new harsh environment apply everywhere, and if you can relate to either, just think about it. Don't let go too fast. Don't judge yourself too severely. Celebrate the little moments. Hold those who make you beem with happiness close. Be proud and loving of the awesome person you are becoming, no matter the rate you are going.

The end of the fall semester is a weird time, where it might seem like you are in limbo of the past or future. Take this time of uncertainty and make it into something magical. Whether a freshman or senior, make sure your mind doesn't linger too long on times on the calendar that aren't today's date. Look ahead and look behind but most importantly, keep your peace of mind.