The Dos and Don'ts of Austin City Limits Music Festival

How to make the best of your ACL experience.

574
laughlin.af.mil

It's that time of the year again. Yup, Austin City Limits weekend is approaching. And you know what that means: exploring the local Austin culture, listening to great live music, and socializing with some really awesome people. Really, what could be better? Honestly, probably nothing. I do know, however, that there are simple ways you can make this already unforgettable weekend even better. Just follow this simple guideline of what to do and what not to do to make the best out of your ACL experience!

Do break your diet

While ACL is a music festival, the food line-up most definitely does not go unnoticed. As Austin is known for it's authentic and unique tastes, why should ACL be an exception. ACL attracts food trucks from all over the city. I can assure you that all the best ones will be right within the vicinity. No matter your craving, you're bound to find something that'll satisfy your tastebuds. Remember, calories don't count at ACL. Try everything! After all, you'll need the energy after jumping around and dancing your heart out during your favorite singer's performance.

Don't rush from stage to stage

This music festival radiates chill vibes. Roll with it; don’t get caught up in whose performing and where. I promise you, if you don't stop every once in a while to take it all in, you're missing out on ACL's real beauty. If you're constantly concerned about where to go and are in a rush, the aesthetic of ACL will blow right over your head. Why not bring a blanket, sit with friends for a bit, and even have yourself a picnic? Sorry not sorry, just had to mention the food again. It's just that good.

Do track your friends' locations

Sounds creepy, but nonetheless extremely important. Being in large and crowded venues like Zilker Park, can be extremely overwhelming. If you do rush from stage to stage with friends, it's easy to loose sight of them. It's happened before and it's terrifying. The phone service isn't great, and after all, it's a music festival, people aren't really on their phones anyways. Seriously, keep tabs on your friends.

Don't videotape the live performances

Speaking of phones, just don't do this. I promise, your Snapchat followers do not care to watch 20 minutes worth of your experience at a concert. Honestly, I never really understood why people do this. Maybe it's old school of me, I don't know. You pay so much to be there and listen to the performer. Be present and enjoy the concert. There's no point in watching a performance through the lens of a camera. When you play it back, it never sounds as good as it does in person anyways.

Do remember the intensity of Texas heat

Yes, it may be Fall, but what does that really mean in Texas? Extended Summer. While you want to dress cute and trendy to capture those Instagram worthy photos, remember it's still boiling hot. Come prepared. Wear light and loose fabrics. Your sweaty body will thank me later. Also, not a bad idea to bring oil blotting pads. You can't underestimate how much you'll sweat under the strong Texas sun, even in October.

Don't drink like your liver is indestructible

I repeat: Texas during the Fall is still unbelievably hot. Drinking like there's no tomorrow isn't the best way to go about ACL. Don't dehydrate yourself even more by pounding back drinks. Instead, replenish yourself with water. Or if you do choose to drink, make sure you have water on hand. Mitigate the headache and nausea you're bound to have at the end of the day anyways by resisting alcohol.

Do embrace your weirdness

Like they say, keep Austin weird. ACL is the epitome of Austin culture. Dress eccentrically, bring funny signs and let your freak flag fly. There is no holding back.

Don't live with fear

At least for these two weekends. ACL is magical. Allow yourself to try and do crazy things. Don't have fear and don't have regrets. Get a lift on someone's shoulders or break out in a spontaneous song and dance. Whatever you feel just do.