‘The Devine Feminine’ by Mac Miller

‘The Devine Feminine’ by Mac Miller

Listen and Review

29
‘The Devine Feminine’ by Mac Miller
genius.com

Listen and Review

‘The Divine Feminine’ was released on September 16, 2016 by popular rap artist Mac Miller. This is Millers fourth studio album with a run time of roughly 53 minutes.

While this album is full of love and sex, Miller claims that the album isn’t about love or romance, but about learning from women.

This is a fantastic sounding album. The overall raunchiness of the album is softened by the jazzy touch of more traditional instruments such as trumpet, tenor saxophone, and piano. This being said, this album is still incredibly explicit. The detail that Miller uses when discussing sex helps to portray the intimate nature of the album. Miller uses this intimacy to present a complex picture of himself as a man with who yearns for more love in his life. Coincidentally, Miller worked on this project with old friend and current girlfriend Ariana Grande. Grande is featured on ‘My Favorite Part’ which was released as the third single from the album on September 9, 2016. Aside from Grande, ‘The Divine Feminine’ also features work from other artists Bilal, Anderson Paak, Ty Dolla $ign, Njomza, CeeLo Green, and Kendrick Lamar.

Structurally, this is a solid album. The variations on song delivery in the album creates a very energetic and entertaining listening experience. Though this is specifically a review on the album as a whole, it is worth mentioning that this album also features a great deal of single worthy projects. Some of my personal favorites include ‘We,’ ‘Cinderella,’ and ‘Dang!’. This variety is created in the use of common hip-hop styles. This is best explained by Millers use of multiple producers, but it still makes for an entertaining album. Vocally Miller demonstrates a tremendous amount of talent. Not only does he show an adept ability to fit words to rhythmic schemes, but his singing is relatively in tune and stylistic. While Millers voice could be considered wispy I believe that it makes his performance personable.

‘The Divine Feminine’ by Mac Miller is overall a solid album. While it is not ground breaking or revolutionary, it is quality music. It serves to set the mood for Fall 2016, hopefully more great music will be coming our ways. I give ‘The Diving Feminine’ 4.4/5 generic standards.

Listen to ‘The Divine Feminine’ by Mac Miller on apple music.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-divine-femin…

1. Congratulations (feat. Bilal)

2. Dang! (feat. Anderson .Paak)

3. Stay

4. Skin

5. Cinderella (feat. Ty Dolla $ign)

6. Planet God Damn (feat. Njomza)

7. Soulmate

8. We (feat. CeeLo Green)

9. My Favorite Part (feat. Ariana Grande)