The CW's Superhero Line Up

The CW's Superhero Line Up

Has Black Lightning come at the end of an era?

304
The CW's Superhero Line Up
Google

Since the boom of widely successful comic book movies, every company in film and television, wanted a piece-and the CW, a television network that airs programing suitable for young adults to adults, was no exception. However, back in 2001, they were a bit ahead of the curve when “Smallville” hit the scene and became a massive hit. Smallville, for those who don’t know, is based on the man, the myth, the legend: Superman. The alien who is known to be Clark Kent with his glasses on, and Superman without them. Just give this Kryptonian a phone booth because…. that’s practical.

Needless to say, Superman is DC’s most popular superhero besides the vigilante, detective, disposable Robin having Batman, but a debate about who is better will not be happening in this article. Frankly, I don’t have the time.

Anyway, the show ended it’s ten year run in 2011. And after that, there was some silence about what was next for the CW’s superhero future. Cut to a year later and the superhero genre is reintroduced to the network with the hit “Arrow” based off of the superhero, Green Arrow.

Soon after in 2014 “The Flash” hit the scene. After that, “Legends of Tomorrow”, which focuses on a cluster of DC heroes like Black Canary, the Atom, Hawkgirl and then “Supergirl”, were added to the line up.

Added to their line up is now “Black Lightning” (I still have a problem with his name but that’s besides the point). I watched the first episode and was impressed with it. The pacing was great as was the acting and the setting. Being based on a superhero who just so happens to be black, there were tie ins to racial disputes and what is really happening in the world. It was presented in a way that it was able to hit the point it was making while not being too preachy. Personally, I liked it and highly recommend to check it out.

For all that being said, if you have read some of my previous articles, I love superheroes. Wonder Woman is my queen. But with now, “Black Lighting”, the whole Arrowverse, all the superhero movies old and the ones that are coming out this year, I am getting overwhelmed.

The media is so densely packed with superheroes that I’m afraid that the charm and appeal to comic books and heroes will be lost. Hollywood is good for running things for all it is worth then shelling out terrible sequels or prequels only to sell tickets. As we can probably all agree, there are good superhero movies and there are terrible ones.

When will it get to the point where super humans and aliens in tight unrealistic costumes all become involved in only money grabbing schemes? The love of the characters and the lore behind them will be pushed to the side to get butts into seats.

Don’t get me wrong, I am here for all the options, the more the merrier but with so many pieces of media idealizing the superhero for a trip to the bank, the passion will be lost.