To The College Student Who Didn't Skip The Party Stage

There's really nothing wrong with it

56
Shelby Alldred

When talking about college, one of the first things that comes up, other than your classes of course, is parties. At a lot of Universities, this can be a huge part of going to the school.

Attending a school like the University of Nevada, there's something going on almost every single weekend, if not every single day. Between greek life, sports teams, and the friend circle you've made, you can always find something. As already stated, its a huge part of the school.

My friends and I are people that like to go out.

We like to party.

If you are in a similar position, I'm here to tell you that there is nothing wrong with not skipping the party stage.

Before anyone has a panic attack and is very quick to judge, just hear me out. Although maybe sometimes it's the reason, a lot of the time we don't go out because we want to get black out drunk and make bad choices (not to say that never happens).

We're not delinquent millennials who are only in school to party and don't care about all the responsibilities we have as young adults. That's not the reason we like it.

The reasons might actually surprise you.

We like to go out and dance with our friends and let some steam off.

Believe it or not, you meet some of your best friends at parties you thought you'd never be caught dead attending.

You create memories that last a life time. The pictures you find on your phone the next morning will stay in your camera roll forever.

Some of the best memories/moments I have had in my 19 years of living have come from parties that I went to with my best friends.

This doesn't make us bad people. This doesn't make us unmotivated or lazy. It doesn't mean we forgot the real reason we came to college.

Obviously it comes with balance, but my friends and myself have over a 3.0 GPA and still attend class Monday morning, no matter how bad we don't have to.

I understand that it isn't for everyone, but it doesn't make us any more or less of a person.

I am a journalism major with a philosophy minor and bust my ass to get good grades while writing for the Odyssey.

I also go out on the weekends and sometimes get a little too ahead of myself and start rapping throwback hip hop songs. And there's not a damn thing wrong with that.

We're here for an education and to get a degree, which we will get. But we also have to create some memories along the way.

Because there are some nights/parties that you will only get to experience once.