The Brilliance Of Social Deduction Games

There's a thrill that gets created when you have to work with others, but you don't know who you can trust

38

Chances are that you've heard about the game Among Us. It's a game that was made all the way back in 2018 but only started its rise to fame when It started going widespread on twitch as more and more popular streamers got hooked. It's not terribly hard to understand why either. The game has a haunting atmosphere that isn't scary enough to impact your fun, and not knowing who you can trust makes you feel so much more alone, even when surrounded by others.

The game is simple at its core. Two teams; the crewmates and the imposters, try to finish their jobs - which are surviving and killing respectively. The crewmates don't know who the imposters are, and to top it off, imposters are given fake tasks as a way to seem more innocent.

This game is brilliant in that it forces you to be smart. It hands you facts and snippets of information, and it is up to you to make what you will of the story. The main bulk of this is shown in the discussions, breaks from the game that are used to decide who needs to go. The players each get to give their own version of the story, and reasons why they aren't the imposter. It may be starting to be obvious, but information is key to winning this game, regardless of which side you play on.

Unfortunately, you can't see much

The imposters get a full field of vision, while the crewmates can only see about half the area of their screens at all times. Added to the fact that imposters can limit this even more, it becomes hard to know if someone is dead, even if they're right next to you. However, this game doesn't force you to kill the imposter asap, as tasks are normally quite easy to do and the imposter will find it harder and harder to kill someone without attracting attention.

A game that basically forces you to take on the monster is Unfortunate Spacemen, it shows you this by placing a gun in your hand. The message is clear: Fight or Die. The game's premise is almost the exact same as Among Us, except for the fact that now your primary method of killing the traitor is straight up making them a bullet sponge.

It's in first person which increases the spook factor while also decreasing the amount that you can see. You have tasks to do here as well, and while doing them is not anything crazy difficult, the monster is pretty powerful, meaning it won't let you get away with it easily. The main difference here is that you're allowed to talk throughout the entire game, allowing you to receive information from teammates easily. The monster can also affect you with colorblindness, and in a game where the color of a person's suit is the easiest way to identify who they are, it's a pretty big wrench in survivng.

These types if games allow you to truly feel the terror that a person might feel if that situation were real. They convey the horror and distrust that the situation would produce. It's an experience that I highly recommend everyone has (Not in real life of course). You learn peoples tells and how to think more critically about what the actions of others might truly mean. They force you to understand how people work, how people act, and most dangerous of all, how people lie.