The Art of Loving One's Self

The Art of Loving One's Self

You are worth more than an opinon

21
The Art of Loving One's Self

What does it mean to truly love yourself?

In the past couple years it seems body positivity, activists, and feminists all alike speak up more about loving yourself in your skin. I love reading their blogs, watching Youtubers, and seeing these awesome plus-size models. I love being "body positive." It truly is about loving yourself but also being happy and healthy.

This is all because some humans like to shame others for the way God made them. My mom always told me that it's a never ending cycle. Skinny girl wants to be thicker, fat girl wants to be thinner. I started questioning myself when I just 12 or 13.

"Do I really want to be thinner?"

I have never been so called "fat" and I've never been so called "skinny." I was right there in between. Kind of what they call "slim thick" with the exception that I have NEVER had a flat stomach. We have so many stereotypes and titles. There is so much more than your body type, ethnicity, or skin color. You are a beautiful person. Inside and out.

I believe the first step into truly loving yourself is this:

Realize you're not perfect and never will be.

We all have flaws. We all have things we don't like about ourselves. It's okay though and you should know that.

I once asked my mom if she'd be happier if she lost weight. She said, "I don't really care either way. I'm not perfect." It was true. She ate cookies and also ate fruit. She had better times and worse times. To her it didn't matter how she looked. She knew people loved her the way she was.

This is another step I believe is crucial to loving yourself:

Realize that no one really cares.

Do all your friends think you're ugly or fat? Probably not. If they do you need to ditch them.

I have always had skinnier friends. They have always been taller and on the thinner side. In my group I was also the fattest. The thing is though no one notices but me. People can say whatever they want but at the end of the day who truly cares?

I stopped caring what other people think. I care only about what I think of myself. If I don't like my flabby stomach then I would change it. But I don't care about how I look. I care more about how I feel. If you care more about yourself than others opinions you could start loving life a whole lot more.

This is the biggest piece of advice I could give anyone who want to love themselves.

Fake it till you make it.

I've been saying that to my mom since I started high school. If you want to be confident and love yourself you have to fake it until you start believing it. I started walking with purpose. Holding my head high on my shoulders while my heels clank on the floor and my hoop earrings sway back and forth as I walk.

Heads turn and suddenly people notice. The sweetest lady I know told me a couple weeks ago, "I saw the dress you wore to church the other day. You looked beautiful dear." I probably blushed a little while I said thank you.

But faking your confidence makes it so much easier to believe.

It drives me crazy when my friends say stuff like, "I look like trash today" or "You get all the guys."

They simply don't have or act like they have confidence. Confidence is an attractive quality to have. So walk with purpose.

Instead of tearing yourself down when you look in the mirror or not wearing what you want because it makes you look "fat" just remember you're worth more than an opinion. You are beautiful human being. I hope everyone can learn the art of loveing one's self.