'The Act' Captured My Attention, Here's My First Impression

'The Act' Captured My Attention Immediately, So Here's My First Impression

From the moment I saw the trailer, I knew this series would be one to watch.

46
YouTube

I had briefly heard about Gypsy Rose prior to "The Act" trailer coming out, but the real curiosity rose when I saw the trailer. I've now seen the four episodes available and the entire situation throws me for a loop with each episode.

Immediately I couldn't even begin to think of who could get away with something like this: poisoning their own child in order to benefit their own life, being so desperate to not be alone that you force horrible illnesses upon your child, whom you're supposed to love - there are so many questions revolving around the case.

Right off the bat, the series envelopes an eerie feeling. From the little actions of Dee Dee to Gypsy's brainwashed personality, it grabs you immediately. The worst of it? Probably Dee Dee's voice when she talked to Gypsy. The tone of her voice and how condescending she is towards Gypsy raises red flags instantly for viewers.

I think the most puzzling part of all is the mother got away with this for years - years! She deceived doctors, neighbors, family, Gypsy herself, etc. Doctors who performed invasive procedures like placing a feeding tube and removing salvatory glands and ear tubes were fooled by this woman. Habitat for Humanity built them a home as a single mother with a severely disabled daughter. The amount of money Dee Dee scammed people out of is unimaginable.

Generally, crime and murder shows freak me out so I tend to avoid them, however, the twistedness of the case and the multitude of questions dragged me in.

For an in-depth account of the case of Gypsy Rose and Dee Dee, check out this one by BuzzFeed News: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/michelledean/...

You can also follow along with this documentary series on Hulu.