The 6 Things That Make Me Want to Scream While in Zoom University

1. I should not have to wear certain clothes for a presentation

I understand that in today's society we are supposed to wear a shirt and bottoms, usually with shoes unless you're in Hawai'i. If I am waking up 2 minutes prior to our scheduled Zoom class, don't even try me. Be happy that I am still showing up unlike half of the class that gave up. I get it. I'm giving an oral presentation, but for some reason, it is not well-known that you can only see my shoulders and above. What is this America's Next Top Model?

2. You shouldn't be expecting high-level work if you're not providing high-level teaching

I get it, the class is different because we are using Zoom now. The "traditional" school doesn't need to train their professors to teach online courses because the courses are usually in person. Some classes have changed so drastically that it's not even the same class as before. The standards of the class have dropped unintentionally. So don't punish me when I don't understand the material on a platform providing me mediocre work with an extremely high fee.

3. Why the hell aren't we receiving refunds

Do I dare ask again? Seriously, how do all these schools announce that they are financially struggling to keep the school up and running if they didn't reduce any fees? I am paying to teach myself at this point. Oh, wait, no I'm not because I need to get a refund. The money you've taken from me and other students over the years are used up completely? I have a lot of questions about the trillions of dollars you receive. And I want answers.

4. I didn't choose an online school for a reason

Listen, I am tired. Some of us are taking a lot of classes with a large course load. Some of us are dealing with other things that this pandemic has affected our lives. So when the class chooses not to participate in a discussion or when you want to get mad at us for missing one deadline, cut us some slack. We aren't supposed to be mad or frustrated that classes are online? We should be grateful that we are even able to still be in school right? This isn't school this is a way for universities to still get paid and for professors to continue having their research paid for. We all know it, not chill out when we ask for an extension.

5. For many of us, our life turned upside down

Personally, I lost my home. My family is 3,000 miles away and I don't have a return date on when I can see them. I had to choose between staying with my family and dropping out or leaving my family and continuing school. Some students have had to face some tough decisions. You could say that even though we're students, we are still adults with lives, family, and bills. Just. Like. You.

6. Now more than ever, mental health is the number one thing and it isn't being taken seriously

Before, you didn't know what happened outside the classroom. Now, you don't know what happens behind a screen. When students skip class, don't assume it's because we've given up. Even if that is the reason or if that's the reason we want to give you. Assume that we are so mentally drained from not moving from a singular spot within one room after x hours and we have either just started the quarter or are halfway through the semester.

Conclusion

Give students a break