The 1975 Lyric Parallels

The 1975 Lyric Parallels

The evolution from The 1975 to I Like It When You Sleep...

2848
The 1975 Lyric Parallels
Emily Akers

With music styles ranging from indie rock to crispy electronica, to R&B, and even jazzy jazz, The 1975 has set a tone for the shameless modern youth with their first two albums. Matty Healy (lead vocals and rhythm guitar), Adam Hann (lead guitar), Ross MacDonald (bass guitar), and George Daniel (percussion) make up the four-piece from Manchester, England. They began playing music together as early as 2002 and began touring in 2012, with their self-titled debut album, The 1975.

Their first album, placed in the genre of rock, has aspects of pop-punk, funk, electro-pop, and soul sounds while still immersing the listeners with the deep struggles of lead singer, Matty Healy. This first album is achingly personal with deep autobiographical stories about lust, drugs, and religious questioning. These meaningful lyrics are paired with upbeat, hand-clapping tunes, mechanical-style harmonies, and guitar riffs that have captured audiences’ attention with songs, such as, Chocolate, Robbers, Sex, Settle Down, and Heart Out.

October of 2015, the band released a very funky, out-of-character single, “Love Me” which began their transition from the dark phase that had been used in their black and white color-schemed concerts, merchandise, and promotional advertisements, to a brighter phase of pink, bright neon signs, and floral patterns. The 1975 released their sophomore album after cryptic messages from Healy and much anticipation from fans in early 2016. I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are So Beautiful yet So Unaware of It (ILIWYS) is described as sleek dance rock mixed with indie soul and jazz. With a presence of a gaudy eighties video budget and a title that is creepy, yet relatable, The 1975, is back with their lyrics of self-discovery and personal battles.

The most interesting vision of this second album are the lyric parallels with songs from the first album. You can see the evolution and extension from the first album, even joking about their prior naiveté. Healy was quoted saying, “On the first record it was me looking at my life and looking for ways to change who I am to be more happy. This record is more about self-acceptance and understanding you'll always be looking at those things.”

Here are the most powerful song parallels by The 1975:

The City // Change of Heart

“If you wanna find love then you know where the city is.”

“I feel as though I was deceived, I never found love in the city.”

The shameful regret, as the second lyric expresses youthful disappointment and the harsh reality that bright lights and big cities don't give you what you want if you don’t actually need.

Sex // Change of Heart

“And this is how it starts, you take your shoes off in the back of my van,”

“You played a part, this is how it starts. Oh, I just had a change of heart.”

Character development: realizing a fun, exhilarating fling isn’t doing anything for your life or your heart. Realizing that you grew with the relationship, but letting go is the best lesson learned.

She Way Out // The Sound

“She said it’s not about your body, it’s just social implications are brought upon by this party that we’re sitting in. And I’d like to say you’ve changed but you’re always the same.”

“It’s not about reciprocation, it’s just all about me. A sycophantic, prophetic, Socratic, junkie wannabe.”

Lyrics from the first album theme social standings, where the girl insists that there is nothing wrong with Matty, but rather something is wrong with the social construction. In the second album, Matty describes himself through narcissism and prophetic false-hearted actions.

Robbers // Change of Heart

“She had a face straight outta magazine.”

“You used to have a face straight out of a magazine, now you just look like anyone.”

This is the most obvious lyric parallel, showing that love and heartbreak, or the realization that the love was never real, can change a person’s view.

The City // Change Of Heart

“You got pretty eyes, but I know you’re wrong.”

“Your eyes were full of regret.

Eyes can display any emotion trying to be hidden. The first lyric shows how pretty eyes can’t hide the guiltiness, while the second lyric shows the regret from the guilt.