The 13 Tiring Phases Of Pulling An All-Nighter

When society tells you tired is temporary and GPA is forever.

82
Offutt Air Force Base

All-nighters, also known as hell without sleep, is when one stays up all night until the sun comes up (or close to it) doing something. Most often, it is academic-related and is being done at the last minute fueled by determination and caffeine (mostly the latter). Most of us, at some point in our lives, have pulled an all-nighter when completing a paper, doing an assignment, finishing (or starting) a project, and more. Here are the phases one experiences before, during, and after pulling an all-nighter, completed in a three-day time span.

1. Monday night: going to bed idealistic

You will tell yourself that you will wake up early to finish that long paper due on Wednesday morning. You have put it off for too long and need precise planning in order to get it done.

2. Tuesday morning: you wake up 3 hours later than you meant to

It’s a good thing that the class you had this afternoon got canceled because it gives you more time than you thought you had to do the paper. So in a way, waking up 3 hours late did not put you that far behind.

3. Tuesday afternoon, 2 p.m.

You just left your dorm or house and are making your way to the library. You’re still idealistic, despite leaving your house later than you expected. You’ll just sequester yourself into the library and solely focus on the paper without getting distracted. Also, time for coffee/soda/energy drink number 1 of this long process.

4. Tuesday afternoon, 2:15 p.m.

*scrolling mindlessly through Facebook, giving yourself a “break”*

5. Tuesday night, 7 p.m.

It took you until now to get only...1/10 of the paper is done.

6. Tuesday, 9 p.m.: Time for Dinner!

Hunger has come upon you. Time to order food to be delivered to the library. Also, time for coffee/soda/energy drink number 2.

7. Tuesday, 11:30 p.m.

You are now halfway done with your paper. It feels like you have been at this forever and you feel like you have nothing more to say. Why did you procrastinate again?

8. Wednesday, 1:30 a.m.

Tiredness is beginning to set in. You wish you could go to sleep but you are still determined to finish the paper. Time for coffee/soda/energy drink number 3!

9. Wednesday, 3:45 a.m.: You start questioning the meaning of life.

What is time? Who are we? What is real life? How are we able to form words? Who decided that an e was that shape? How am I existing here right now?

10. Wednesday, 5 a.m., YOU'RE GOING TO GET THIS DONE!

You are determined, you are going to get this paper done. Even in your sleep deprived state, you will get this done! You've got this!

11. Wednesday, 6 a.m.

The sun is rising and you're almost finished! You see the literal light at the end of the tunnel! You have one more paragraph to complete!

12. Wednesday, 8:30 a.m.

You have finally finished your paper. You are hungry and exhausted. You are really tired but also feel like a nice hearty breakfast of omelet, fruit, donuts, and a chocolate waffle with sugar and cinnamon on top complete with a glass of orange juice.

13. Wednesday, 9:30 a.m.

You have eaten breakfast and managed to get yourself home communicating in somewhat coherent sentences and without falling. You walk in, don't talk to any of your roommates, and head straight your room ready to change into pajamas and climb right into bed.

Good luck on your paper (or whatever you are still up in the wee hours of the morning doing that constitutes losing sleep)!