That Festival Guy. Is It You?

That Festival Guy. Is It You?

5

Do you film shows with your iPad, have dreads to your knees, or arrive early to concerts to find a prime hooping spot on the lawn? Whether or not you identify with the above, here's a list of characters you're bound to find at the vast majority of shows to come. You may see dancing, laughing, hooping, smoking, singing, drinking, or filming, but the big picture will reveal a people united by the common thread of love for music -- and any way you slice it, that’s a beautiful thing.You’ve bought your ticket, parked your car, and you’re headed towards the admission gate for a weekend (or even just one night) full of music. If you’ve taken a second to look around, it’s pretty obvious who is headed in the same direction that you are. Though a diverse group of people constitutes the indie festival-going crowd, there are a few stereotypes you are guaranteed to find at 90% of the venues you attend. Lana lookalikes and tutu-wearing ravers aside, here’s a mental checklist to consider at your next show:
1. The Dreads GuyThere will always, without a doubt, be one guy in the crowd with a head full of righteous dreads. He’s been working on his hair for years. If it doesn’t already, it’s getting close to falling below his waist at this point. He’s just as dedicated to his locks as he is to his music. He’s wearing a worn t-shirt from the show you’ve always dreamt of attending and a pair of pants you aren’t daring enough to don yourself. Whether it’s the hair or inherent musical knowledge, Dreads Guy gives off some form of mysterious vibe that is slightly awe-inspiring.
2. The iPad CinematographerThere’s always going to be that guy, and he’s probably stood in your line of vision on at least one occasion. For the welfare of music lovers who want to see the stage instead of a screen, one can only hope this technological trend won’t last.
3. The High SchoolersYeah, in high school it was cool when your mom would drop you off at a show that your other friends’ moms wouldn’t let them attend. Crowds are dangerous or something like that. These kids come in packs, and they’re usually all dressed alike because they put a lot of effort into looking older than they are (apparently matching outfits add a few years). They don’t pay much attention to the show. They’re really only in attendance for the way it’ll look on their Instagram later that night. #picstitch #concert #so #much #funnnnnn #mybff #trippy #(insertlyricfromartist’smostpopularsong)
4. The Frat PackChacos, chubbies, bandanas, costas, and vintage band tees. These boys stand out from the hippie crowd, but are clearly up for the music and a good time. Enough said.
5. The DruggiesPerhaps the easiest to spot in any crowd, it doesn't take long to pick out the erratic dancers who are going to be floating somewhere between Earth and the unknown for the duration of the concert. The good thing is that they always seem to love meeting new people. Seriously, they love everyone.
6. The Genuine HippiesYes, they’re adults, but they don’t seem like they have a place in the “grown up” sector of America. These folks most likely spent a few years following around Led Zeppelin. Maybe they’re bona fide Dead Heads. You know the type. The real hippies. The ones who set the stage for generation Y. They haven’t a care in the world because, well, why should they? They made it through the 70s, 80s, and 90s. One look and you know they’ve got stories about life experiences that you envy: the times you weren’t even a part of but still feel nostalgic for.
7. The DrunksLofty beer prices don’t turn them away from the concession stand. These folks are often seen with a PBR or frozen concoction in hand. Oh, and they probably snuck in a floppy flask. Or two. Generally speaking, this is the cause of crowd surfing gone wrong. Plop.
8. The Hoopers and The Poi SpinnersThis crowd never ceases to amaze me. They show up early enough to stake out a spot on the lawn, lose the shoes, start to spin, and just. Don’t. Stop. It seems a next to impossible feat to spin a hula hoop for an entire concert, but I’ve seen it accomplished more often than not. It’s positively mesmerizing. The second the sun drops below the horizon, the hoopers and the poi spinners light up the night. Literally.
9. The DedicatedThey know every word, guitar riff, and drum beat of each song… probably because they have a copy of every single recording ever made: studio, acoustic, ep, live at any venue the artist has ever played, etc. They’ve seen _______ 17 times already in various places across America, and have a setlist that they made each time to commemorate the event. Too much enthusiasm? Never. The passionate music lover stops for nothing.
Perhaps you found yourself listed above. If not, it’s more than likely that you’ve encountered at least a few of these stereotypes in your concert-going experiences. Either way, as you look around the crowd at your next musical excursion, allow everyone’s differences to fall away for just a moment. 
Whether you see dancing, laughing, hooping, smoking, singing, drinking, or filming, the big picture will reveal a people united by the common thread of love for music -- and any way you slice it, that’s a beautiful thing.