Thanksgiving Break Isn't Long Enough For Us College Students

Thanksgiving break gives us a chance to see our families and finally get some relaxing time. Too bad it only lasts about three to five days...

45

Thanksgiving break hits when it needs too, and it hits just right. The purpose of Thanksgiving break to a college kid is a chance to eat so much food that your stomach feels like it is going to pop, and catch up on sleep. For me, Thanksgiving break is when I get to see so many members of my family that I don't see often. Even my cousins that live in Maryland fly down to Florida to spend Thanksgiving with us.

When I think about Thanksgiving Day, I think of all of my family coming over and cooking our Thanksgiving dinner altogether, rather than one person cooking the entire dinner (typically, my mom). As my cousins and I have all gotten older, we would rather cook the dinner together instead of sitting around watching. This sounds like a lot of effort but, this is when we make the best memories. We laugh and update each other on everything that is going on in our lives.

Not only is Thanksgiving Day wonderful, the entire break is pretty relaxing. I will admit it is nice to sleep in my bed at home and not worry about groceries or food at all, seeing as we all know our families will be feeding us until the moment we leave. Being in college has made me realize the true reason behind why I like going home is that it makes me feel like a kid again. I know I am only 20 years old, but college makes you grow up pretty quickly. So, when I go home and I am treated like little "katiebugg," it is a refreshing feeling.

As Thanksgiving gets closer, I get more excited! I cannot wait to hug my family members and cuddle with my puppies that I miss so much every day! I just wish the break was longer- only three days of classes off? Having classes on Monday and Tuesday of that week is pointless because most students leave early anyways.

Why not just give us the entire week off?! Most students wonder that and I feel like even professors are curious. Nevertheless, Thanksgiving break gives us a little glimpse of our upcoming Christmas break and is the well-needed relaxation time with our families and friends.