Thank You To My Unexpected Valentine

Thank You To My Unexpected Valentine

Do what you love and you will never work a day in your life

21
Thank You To My Unexpected Valentine
Google Images

I went to sleep last night knowing when I’d wake up today that love would be in the air and I would be spending another Valentine’s Day alone. I’m not one to run around smashing heart piñatas or downing a bottle of liquor to cope with this whole singles thing, but of course, it isn’t the greatest feeling to be alone on a day like today. Little did I know I was not alone.

Who really has time for a relationship while juggling the heavy workload that comes along with being in college? Somehow my peers manage to while I have a love affair with my by nursing textbook. Cheers to them for having both a love life and a decent GPA! I’m content with my romantic evenings alone in the library.

It would have been just another Tuesday, but because the calendar said February 14th suddenly everyone has this overwhelming emotion of love. Restaurants have dinner specials for two, and chocolate is sold in the shape of hearts but neither of those things are what today is really about.

I didn’t wear a red dress today but a pair of scrubs and my stethoscope. Being a nursing student has its perks such as comfortable footwear and approval of the messy bun. But not all the perks of nursing come from just the fashion aspect. Waking up at 5 a.m. may not seem worth it to just anyone however if you are like me it is oh so rewarding.

Knowing you can make a patient’s day just by simply asking “How are you?” is absolutely magical. I get such a warm feeling inside when I make a connection with a patient. Sometimes they make me smile when they are ones that I thought needed it most. Especially on days like today, Valentine’s Day.

From the moment I walked into my assigned patient’s room he was so over-appreciative of me just being there for him for the day. He greeted me with a smiley good morning and was eager to tell me that he knew what today was. He asked if I had a Valentine and when I replied “No” he seemed saddened. I told him there was no time to be sad when a beautiful day was waiting for him.

Together we worked on his morning routine. Bed bath, dental care and even picking out the perfect outfit for the day. I lost track of the amount times he said thank you to me because he was just so grateful. Little did he know that I was just as grateful to be helping him.

Of course, all shifts must come to an end so I made every effort to make sure my patient was extra comfortable before I made my way out. Once he was all situated and said thank you about a hundred times more he asked if it was okay to ask me a question. I reassured him that was most certainly okay. Then he stuck his hand out to ask me, “Will you be my Valentine?” I could have melted right then and there. Little did he know that he made my day with those simple sweet words. I had no idea today would turn out to be the best Valentine’s Day ever but thanks to my unexpected valentine that’s exactly what today was.