An Open Letter To The Boy Who Didn’t Choose Me

Thank you.

197
Teryl Dunn

Dear you,

From the very first day I fell for your lies. You knew immediately you had won because I fell for the guy you wanted me to believe you were. I was so interested in learning about you and your life. I wanted to know the side that no one else got to see and that’s what you gave me, because it wasn’t real.

The day you left me I knew you were just using me. You left me for the girl that you told me not to worry about because y’all are just friends. You left because you used up my heart and saw me at my worst. I cared. I cared enough for the both of us and it still wasn’t enough for you.

The image of you that you did give me is the image that I will be looking for, but without the red flags, without the lies, without the pain. The man that you portrayed to be is the man of my dreams and one day he will be by my side. You gave me expectations. You helped me learn to follow my gut. You taught me to not see the good in everyone and to not give so many chances.

So thank you, because of you I chose me. And I will continue to choose me today, tomorrow, and for the rest of my days to come. I will no longer let someone push me around to get their way. I will no longer let your words hurt who I am. I am no longer a damsel in distress because I saved myself.

Thank you for lying because now I won’t have to live the rest of my life with a guy that drained me. I deserve to be happy, healthy, and deserving of all things. But because you drained me I no longer laughed at the little things, I cried at the little things. Every step I made, I made it cautiously because I was afraid of where I was going.

Now I walk with my head help high. I laugh at the little things in life because I am truly happy with where I am going. I am falling head over heels with the woman I am becoming and that is the greatest feeling ever. I have found my happiness. I have found God in my heart. And I have found that I am a strong woman and that there’s nothing wrong with me. In fact, there was never anything wrong with me.

So thank you, again, for not choosing me and for showing me what I deserve. And one day I hope you find the true you.