Don't Forget Your Manners!

Don't Forget Your Manners!

Never Underestimate What A Simple Thank You Can Do!
40

Most of us are thankful for something in our lives, whether it's family, friends, pets, a career, ect. But we often ignore the importance of saying "Thank You." I have seen this a lot lately especially while being in college. We tend to expect people to do things for us; such as holding the door open, giving us our food we ordered, or giving us a card. Even with small things such as these, we never utter the word "Thanks." But why? Where has the manners gone with society today?

I have noticed there are so many people who aren't polite to others when they do a kind gesture for them. Not too long ago, I held a door open for some people going to the same place I was. The sad thing was not one of them said "Thank You." I tend to forget that in society today we don't feel the need to say "Thanks" to anyone. In the past generations we've had manners and knew what please and thank you meant. But what happened to the late 2000's? We say we are thankful for the things we have and what people give to us. But are we really? When was the last time you said "Thank You" to someone who did a kind favor for you? I especially noticed this while attending college. There are too many people who aren't grateful for what others do for them.

One of the clubs that I am involved in on campus held a service project by having students thank donnors that contribute to our college. There were many students who just walked away or said "no" to writing cards for them. Once our club started saying they would get a free t-shirt or be entered into winning a raffel, that's when they started to participate. This is a really sad thing to think of or see. These students didn't want to participate until something was in it for them. Each and every person walked away from the table until the free t-shirt and raffel was announced, then they came back. What's more sad about this is, they go to this college and most likely recive some kind of financial aid. But they can't write a few thank you cards to the donors that help them get a higher education?

The college also had a luncheon a few weeks ago, and it was required for eveystudent who received a scholarship from a donor would write a thank you card and attend the luncheon the following week. I heard so many people make remarks about having to go, seeing no point in going because they had better things to do, or just didn't want to write a card. I thought, is it so hard to write a paragraph on how thankful you are for being able to continue your education because of their generosity? They didn't have to give out scholarships, I think they at least deserve a card of the recipients appreciation.

There are people who do say "Thank You" it's just dying out and becoming an old past time. If you are truely thankful, say it even to the small things. Once a person doesn't hear "Thank You" anymore, they will stop doing things for you, because you aren't being appreciative. You can't expect someone to do something for you if you don't have manners. A simple "Thanks" can go a long way. So the next time someone helps you in some way, don't forget your values and manners.