6 Telenovela Tropes as told by Jane the Virgin

If this doesn't make you want to watch this show, I don't know what will.

1666
huluim.com

So with the second season of Jane the Virgin coming to an end, there's some very common telenovela, or tv soap operas for our non Spanish speaking readers, tropes that have appeared throughout the show that are common to Spanish dramas. In fact, there are some that have popped up in the series so far.

Caution : Spoilers ahead

1. The Long Lost Sibling

In real life, you rarely ever find out you have a long lost sibling. But in telenovelas, they happen to pop up everywhere!

Bonus Points if it's a twin

Bonus Bonus Points if the long lost sibling/twin is also the new bag guy (evil lost brother? Yikes!).

2.The Love Triangle

Love triangles bring in intrigue, which keeps watchers on their toes to know who our protagonist will run to!

But of course, in Jane the Virgin, it's more like a love hexagon.

3. Mr Tall Dark and Handsome

Rawr, hot stuff. This is the "Mr. Perfect" of your dreams, tall and handsome. Normally part of a love interest, this beautiful man (or woman) is around to fuel the love triangle.

Bonus Points if he's rich or is more than just eye candy.

4. The Crazy One

So, let's be fair, the crazy one doesn't have to be "crazy", just....you know, a lot to handle and always making a mess, or have some sort of abuse problem or just....you know.....kinda crazy.

5. The One who gets Pregnant

There's always that one person who ends up pregnant somehow or other. In Jane the Virgin, that's half the story!

Bonus points if it's a baby from the wrong baby daddy. Nothing like fueling the drama train.

6. The Evil Mother

There's always that one "mother" figure who you just hate. Not even on a rational level, but on that how dare you even dare kind of level. She's always starting trouble someway or other. Or in Jane the Virgin, she pushes someone down a flight or stairs and holds a man hostage for a couple of months. This isn't the kind of lady you cross.

So yeah, these are the types of tropes you normally come across in telenovelas, focusing the ones in the hit show Jane the Virgin. There are more and most of these themes are everywhere in Spanish dramas, but hey, you gotta love these Latin shows.