Teachers, You Are Superheroes

Teachers, You Are Superheroes

Thank you for saving the world.

13
Teachers, You Are Superheroes
Flickr
“I’ll always be there. Always. It’s not the powers. Not the cape. It’s about standing up for justice. For truth. As long as people like you are out there, I’ll be there. Always." -Superman

I’m sure some days you wish you had a magic wand, kryptonite, or telepathic powers just to keep these kids in their seats and get them to listen.

You don’t.

You’ve probably had moments where it doesn’t feel worth it, and you’ve probably thought about packing up and finding an office job with higher pay.

You don’t.

You might wonder if that student in the back will ever understand fractions, and you don’t know why you should bother to explain it one more time. Sometimes you probably think you couldn’t possibly give one more cheerful “Good morning!” to that student that never smiles back. You probably tell yourself it isn’t healthy to stay up so late every night prepping for class the next day. You probably get tired of repeating the corny inspirational phrases on the importance of learning to yourself, your students, and your colleagues.

But you do it.

I’m sure some days you think everything you do doesn’t make a bit of difference.

Oh, yes it does.

With animated faces and voices of pride, the kids in your class talk about heroes. Superman came down to save the city when it was collapsing in destruction. Captain America stuck out his shield to protect the helpless from a villain that would have destroyed them. Iron Man used his brain to invent a suit that would let him fly to trouble from miles away. Spiderman overcame his difficulties of loss and inferiority by using his talents to help others.

They protect what’s good, empower the helpless, use their strengths, and overcome their weaknesses because they are focused on the greater good. Is that not what you do every day?

You see the kid who’s being destroyed by a bad attitude, poor home life, or physical difficulty. You counter the voices that say they are not strong enough, good enough, or smart enough every time you say, “I know you can do this.”

You see the kid that just doesn’t get it yet, and you use all the tools and powers you have to make sure they do. No matter how many times it takes.

You use that creative brain of yours to figure out how to help them use theirs. You empower them to make the world a better place.

Your job requires brain of Tony Stark, the strength of Clark Kent, the resilience of Peter Parker, and the virtue of Steve Rogers. And just like them, the outside world might not see the power you possess, but you never let that stop you.

Here’s the only difference between you and a superhero: You are real.

Soon your students will discover the the real heroes weren’t the ones in red capes, who vanished when the movie ended. They were the ones standing in the classroom, armed with a smile, using their powers for good every single day.

Thank you, teachers. Keep saving the world.