TBT: The 7 Things We Miss About Zero Week of Freshman Year

3

As the new school year approaches... let's focus on the future.

But also about the past, back to the carefree days of childhood zero week of your freshman year at UCLA. Back when sleepless nights, homesickness and questioning all your life decisions were just myths you’d vaguely heard in passing and had chosen to ignore. In mourning of freedom past, we listed the seven things we miss the most about the golden age that started our college career.

1. Bonding with everyone Once you’d safely moved into your new dorm and kissed your parents goodbye, you promptly proceeded to introduce yourself to every single soul who happened to cross your path. Your roommate, floor mates, people you met on Facebook, at orientation or in the dining hall - all were potential new BFFs. Cries of “You’re from the Bay Area? Oh em gee, ME TOO!” resonated around the Hill.

2. Rush Speaking of meeting people… From what I hear, fraternity rush is a great time - playing and talking about sports, eating burgers and getting multiple bids. As for sorority rush- ahem- it's not exactly the most relaxing experience, but secretly we enjoyed looking our very best and brushing our small- talk and interviewing skills. And we met great people along the way, other potential new members, our now sisters and brothers, and even people in other houses. Aren't you glad you went Greek? 

3. The honeymoon phase You can’t spell “freshman” without “wide-eyed.” Okay, technically you can, but you got the gist. When you first started college, “everything was new and exciting,” says Camila Piedrahita, a member of Alpha Phi. Taking pictures of Royce hall, the food, Bruin Bash, the game - even Bruin Welcome day were exciting. Of course, these things are still pretty great (our school is the best school, duh), but you’re probably not marveling at them every second of your life anymore. 

4. Randomly hanging out Zero week was all about spontaneity. You just roamed around aimlessly with your newfound friends, ending up in random people’s rooms with 12 other people, getting lost and having a blast. Ajia Murphy, a member of Chi Omega, says she misses “just exploring the campus without having to worry about classes.” Who doesn’t? 

5. Diddy Riese and In N Out Everyone told you/ordered you to run to these staples of Westwood (Diddy Riese) and California (In-N-Out). So you did. Three times. And let’s be honest - they never failed you. They also made great hangouts when you and your friends went three times up and down Midvale, before giving up on apartment parties. 

6. Not sleeping was a choice You learned about sleepless nights that week, but not the hard way. You actually wanted to do useless things, like failing at a tunneling attempt or hanging out on Janss Steps, until 5 A.M., so you did. And it was glorious. 

7. Freedom! Most of all, starting college meant you were free to do whatever you pleased. There were no rules, no curfew, no parents, no responsibilities. You were away from home and you were an adult at last - or so you thought. Most of us will agree that zero week of freshman year was pretty darn memorable. Although we’ve all learned a lot since then, we should all channel who we were back then from time to time, being silly and spontaneous and overenthusiastic.

So let's start this new year off right!