Taylor Swift's 'Lover' Album Review

If You Don't Love Taylor Swift's New Album 'Lover' — You Need To Calm Down And Listen To It Again

I can't calm down.

1654
YouTube

As a dedicated Swiftie, for the last few albums, I have made it sort of a ritual to sit down and listen to her albums all the way through, the second they're released.

I love Taylor as a person, businesswoman, and artist. I think she has put out some of the best music of our generation because her songwriting talent is absolutely unmatched.

I'll be completely honest, Fearless and Speak Now were my favorite albums of hers, especially because I loved her country releases, but she has obviously proven she can carry her songwriting abilities into whatever genre she wants to tackle.

"Lover" has become my favorite album of hers after just one listen, so to me, that's quite the indicator it's a killer album.

I have nothing but respect and admiration for Taylor. In honor of the new album, here is an informal breakdown of all 18 tracks.

1. I Forgot That You Existed

My favorite lyric: "I forgot that you existed, it isn't love, it isn't hate, it's just indifference"

Okay, this one is so catchy, I absolutely love that it's vague enough that anyone can take it and apply it to your own life. It could be about a friend who backstabbed you, an ex who did you wrong, your haters, literally anyone.

I think this is an excellent opener for the album and will likely be the opening song on tour since she has a history of opening most of her tour shows with the album-opening song.

I'm ready (for it...) to buy my tickets to the Lover World Tour.

2. Cruel Summer

My favorite lyric: "Said I'm fine but it wasn't true, I don't wanna keep secrets just to keep you"

This one is going to be a fan favorite, I'm calling it now.

THIS CHORUS IS EVERYTHING! I don't even have to elaborate on this one, I'm willing to bet it's going to be a single at some point.

3. Lover

My favorite lyric: "And you'll save all your dirtiest jokes for me, and at every table, I'll save you a seat"

This one has been out for about a week now, and this is definitely one of my favorite Taylor songs.

This song makes you want to fall in love, get married, have children, live a life full of sunshine and rainbows, and it's just so cute! She also just dropped the music video for this one and it's AMAZING.

4. The Man

My favorite lyric: "They'd say I hustled, put in the work, they wouldn't shake their heads and question how much of this I deserve"

Oh man, The Man is so freaking good. Ms. Taylor Alison Swift has had enough of sexism and the double standards she and so many women face on a daily basis. I need to see her perform this one ASAP.

5. The Archer

My favorite lyric: "All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put me together again"

The Archer is so beautifully written and the production of the song is perfectly executed.

I have been listening to this one on repeat for weeks now. I love how it digs deeper into the highs and lows of love and I mean c'mon, it's track 5.

Any track 5 Taylor Swift song is bound to be good. I don't make the rules.

6. I Think He Knows

My favorite lyric: "I think he knows he better lock it down, or I won't stick around, 'cause good ones never wait"

This one reminds me of Bad Liar by Selena Gomez for some reason?

Maybe just because of the beat. I like this one, it's cute. It makes me wanna dance on a Friday night out.

7. Miss Americana & The Heartbreak Prince

My favorite lyric: "And I'll never let you go, 'cause I know this is a fight that someday we're gonna win"

I can't even put into words how I feel about this song. It is concrete proof of why Taylor Swift is an absolute lyrical genius. The "go, fight, win" lyrics are amazing. Go listen to it and you'll see what I mean.

I'm going to listen to this one on repeat for sure.

8. Paper Rings

My favorite lyric: "I hate accidents except when we went from friends to this"

This song totally sounds like a song that would be used in a rom-com movie soundtrack. Such a bop. It makes me feel happy and energetic. I saw some people on twitter talking badly about this song, but I think it's so cute.

9. Cornelia Street

My favorite lyric: All of them. Okay, I guess I'll pick a line: "Barefoot in the kitchen, sacred new beginnings, that became my religion, listen"

I'm always a sucker for track 9 on all of her albums, so I don't know why I'm surprised this is already one of my absolute favorites on the album. This. Song. Is. Everything.

10. Death By A Thousand Cuts

My favorite lyric: "My time, my wine, my spirit, my trust, tryna find a part of me you didn't take up"

Okay I feel like I'm saying every song is so good, but that's because they all are... This one is so catchy and different and I LOVE it! The 2nd verse is my favorite.

11. London Boy

My favorite lyric: "Show me a gray sky, a rainy cab ride, babe, don't threaten me with a good time"

If you weren't aware Taylor is madly in love with London boy Joe Alwyn, you'll be aware after listening to this song. I love how she did this one, and think the lyrics are so well put together.

I'm not dating a London boy, but I'm going to pretend I am. It's fine.

12. Soon You'll Get Better ft. Dixie Chicks

My favorite lyric: This won't go back to normaler59 if it ever was, it's been years of hoping, and I keep saying it because, 'cause I have to"

I'm being honest when I say I am crying as I type this. This one hit me really hard. It's obviously about her mom who is battling cancer, and as someone who also has a mom and grandmother battling cancer right now, wow.

She put it all into words so perfectly, and as bad as it hurts, I am so appreciative of this song because I feel so understood. Also, the Dixie Chicks are amazing, but we all know that.

13. False God

My favorite lyric: "I know heaven's a thing, I go there when you touch me, honey, hell is when I fight with you"

Okayyy Taylor! I can't help but dance when I hear this one. Being in a relationship I can definitely relate to the lyrics.

14. You Need To Calm Down

My favorite lyric: "And we see you over there on the internet, comparing all the girls who are killing it"

I could write a 14 page paper on why I love this song, but for the sake of your time, I won't. An ANTHEM. Addressing cancel culture, homophobia, and pitting women against one another, all in one song? Taylor Icon Swift did THAT.

15. Afterglow

My favorite lyric: Tell me that you're still mine, tell me that we'll be just fine"

The opening lyrics are literally "I blew things out of proportion..." and I have honestly never related to anything more. I love that Taylor writes about all aspects of love and taking responsibility for when you hurt someone. This is a great one.

16. ME! ft. Brendon Urie of Panic! At The Disco

My favorite lyric: "I'm the only one of me, let me keep you company"

I love this song because it's just so fun, cute, and lighthearted. We've all been there, and it's relatable AF. Also, Brendon Urie's vocals blessing me is never something I will complain about.

17. It's Nice To Have A Friend

My favorite lyric: "Call my bluff, call you "babe", have my back, yeah, every day"

I love the simple production on this one and definitely need to listen again to really catch all of the lyrics. So sweet.

18. Daylight

My favorite lyric: "I once believed love would be burning red, but it's golden"

All. The. Feels. Everything about this song just screams "yes" to me. It's also where Taylor's instagram from months ago came from. The one where she said "step into the daylight and let it go". We've literally had the lyric right under our noses this entire time. Queen of easter eggs.

The entire album is an absolute masterpiece, and I highly suggest you go check it out for yourself. You will Love(r) it.