18 Songs On Taylor Swift’s New Album So You Don’t Have To

I Listened In-Depth To All 18 Songs On Taylor Swift’s New Album So You Don’t Have To

But, like, you still can if you want.

94
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BjZmE2gtdo

If you clicked on this hoping for a song by song critique on Taylor Swift's new album "Lover" (out now anywhere you can stream music), this may not be what you're looking for. I am, by some standards, a Taylor fan. Her music was a huge part of my childhood, and I'm sure a lot of us can say that too. But I don't think I'm as into her music as I used to be when I was twelve years old.

So, this is my chance to give my honest review of all 18 songs on her newly released seventh studio album, which also happens to be the first album she actually owns. (Beware: this is long.)

1. I Forgot That You Existed

Taylor to whoever this song is supposed to be about:

Straight off the bat, I think this is a bop. I know a lot of people haven't listened to her music since she "went pop", but her style has been changing from the beginning.

2. Cruel Summer

The real Cruel Summer is the fact that I live in a place that's consistently above 95 degrees F.

The first thing I thought of when I heard the opening beat was her song "Out of the Woods". I'm also noticing a lot of religious imagery in general in this one.

3. Lover

Somehow she made the word Lover not sound so creepy.

This was one of this album's promotional singles, so I had already listened to it before the rest were released, but I do have to say it gives me tremendous nostalgia. The vibe is similar to Red and Speak Now, but it's still unique to her current style, somehow.

4. The Man

Listen to Megan, she's right.

Okay, so I thought this was going to be about a man, but it's kind of a critique on the music industry/any industry that is dominated by men.

You can tell it's all her pent up feelings about being a woman in her position, but she's able to turn her spite into success. And I love the part of the song where the audience says Ayyy!

5. The Archer

This song is about Katniss Everdeen, right?

To be honest, I didn't like this single at first. It's a bit slow for my taste and the tone is pretty somber. But I've listened to it a couple more times now and I'm warming up to it.

6. I Think He Knows

What does he know, Taylor?

I really don't remember much from this song. It sounds like "Out of the Woods" again, but since I think Jack Antonoff produced them both, I'm not surprised.

7. Miss Americana & the Heartbreak Prince

She has me in my FEELS.

Frankly, the tone of this song is depressing. I can't recall most of it, but there was one line about being a "bad bad girl" that kept being repeated. Interesting.

8. Paper Rings

Me flying away from my responsibilities so I can listen to this album:

Wow, Taylor just said her boyfriend's friends were high the first time they met. Nine year old me is shook. This song sounds like something you'd hear in the background of a Best Buy commercial in the early 2000s.

9. Cornelia Street

Taylor and Spongebob need to collab.

I wasn't really listening to the lyrics at first but it sounds a little like "All You Had To Do Was Stay" from 1989. Actually, a lot of these songs sound vaguely like 1989, but with a mix of Red and Reputation as well.

10. Death By A Thousand Cuts

That good ole glockenspiel.

I feel like I heard a harpsichord or glockenspiel somewhere and that's all I could focus on. Also, by now I'm realizing that Taylor sings about alcohol a lot.

We get it, you're above the legal drinking age.

11. London Boy

Spoiler: She talks about England in this song.

Giph

This song starts off with Idris Elba so it's automatically good. It's similar to "King of my Heart", but it's in the style of this new album. I wonder what her boyfriend thought about all the English references when he listened to it for the first time.

12. Soon You'll Get Better feat. The Dixie Chicks

Things WILL get better, y'all.

The acoustic guitar in the background reminds me of "White Horse". Now that is a major throwback. (This song is really sad.)

13. False God

I mean, this didn't happen, but it could've.

At this point, I'm running out of things to say. I liked the saxophone at the beginning of this one.

Also, I got whiplash after listening to this song, because the next song was "You Need To Calm Down" which just exudes a completely different vibe.

14. You Need To Calm Down

How can we calm down when this gif is so chaotic?

Look, Taylor got a lot of differing opinions when she released this song in June, so you've probably heard them all already. All I have to say is that this is the annoyingly catchy one that will be played on the radio for the next six years. Be prepared.

15. Afterglow

Just imagine the sun when you're listening to this song. I think that's what Taylor would've wanted.

I could tell this was produced by Jack Antonoff because of the continuous drum going BOOM babum BOOM in the background. His production is very distinct in that way.

16. ME! feat. Brendon Urie

Hey kids, spelling is no longer fun (because she took that part out of the song)!

When Taylor dropped this back in April, I was so confused. The music video was trippy and the song was cheesy. I've already written a whole piece on this, but honestly, this song is ironically enjoyable. It's been stuck in my head for months.

17. It's Nice To Have A Friend

This is what I'm imagining is in the studio recording this song with her.

Whoa. Is that a harp? And a children's choir in the background? That is slightly haunting somehow. It's not bad though.

18. Daylight

Daylight = a new beginning. Reputation is officially over.

The lyrics to this last one are very poetic, and it's a good ending to the album. It feels like she wrote a reflection on her life - the song is super honest and sad, but she's choosing to step into the daylight and let it go. I have to commend her for that.

If you got this far, you really have no choice but to listen to the album for yourself. I wrote you an essay on what I thought about each song, but you're allowed to take my opinions with a grain of salt. Music is a subjective experience; I think that's what makes it so fun.