My Tattoos Do Not Define My Work Ethic

My Tattoos Do Not Define My Work Ethic

I am a hard worker; with or without permanent ink on my skin.

659
My Tattoos Do Not Define My Work Ethic

A common phrase I hear when someone (usually an older adult) notices my tattoos is: "But aren't you worried about getting hired?" I do not have many tattoos, but the ones I do have are noticeable. I understand where these people are coming from, and I know they just want me to be smart, but I think that the fact that companies can judge someone's work ethic based on whether or not they have tattoos is ridiculous.

I can understand if a tattoo contains inappropriate words, but I don't understand the negative stigma around tattoos in the workplace.

With my initial thoughts being said, I will admit that tattoos have come a long way in being more accepted by the public. However, I still encounter people who judge me based on the fact that I have permanent ink on my body. I get the impression that these people assume that I am young and easily impressionable, and will regret my tattoos in the future.

Why bother worrying about something that is on someone else's body and not your own? My tattoos mean the world to mean, and I do not and will not ever regret a single one.

I am a hard-working, educated young woman in the 21st century, and nothing about how I look, including my tattoos, should define my intelligence or work ethic. When I work for a company, I put my heart and soul into making sure that I am a hard worker. I am working on improving myself academically and personally in a collegiate setting because I know I will enter the workplace soon.

I want to be the best version I can be of myself because I want to make my family proud and do something productive with my life. I care about my future job, and I do not think it is too much to ask to want to be judged solely on my intelligence.

So, I urge you, if you are thinking about commenting on someone's appearance in a negative way because of their tattoos; think about what you're doing.

And if you're someone who wants a tattoo but has been scared of backlash by society, I highly recommend you do it. There is nothing more freeing than giving yourself something you truly want. Your body is YOUR body.