Tasty Treats in Under 10 Minutes Part II

We're back and we've got your cravings covered

16
Food Network

Hello, fellow Tritons! How is everyone doing? Stressed? A tad bit anxious? Quizzes, midterms, and assignments can add up the pressure quite quickly and at times, all you want is a warm hug telling you everything is going to be fine (and it will be fine because you are a trooper!). Food is a guilty pressure for many of us during stressful times so here are 3 easy dorm room treats to give you that much-needed pick me up!

Five Minute Mac ‘n’ Cheese

I discovered how comforting a hot bowl of Mac ‘n’ Cheese can be during finals week when I thought I was going to certainly lose my sanity and run around like a wild goose. It’s a very simple recipe that you can whip up in a jiffy and share with your friends as well.

You will need-

1. 1 cup of macaroni
  2. 1.5 cup of water
  3. 0.75 cup of whole milk
  4. 1 cup of grated cheese
  5. Salt, pepper and chili flakes

Step 1- Mix water, macaroni, and salt, pepper and chili flakes (adjust according to preference)

Step 2- Microwave the uncooked macaroni on full power in a microwave safe bowl for 3 minutes while stopping every 30 seconds to stir. Stop once your macaroni has absorbed all the water and feels firm to touch.

Step 3- Add 0.75 cup of whole milk and gently fold in the grated cheese of your choice. Folding the cheese into the cooked macaroni ensures that the pasta does not break apart and it is evenly spread out.

Step 4- Microwave on high for 60 seconds but you may need to extend your cooking time.

Instant Burrito Bowl

Chipotle’s burrito bowls are a godsend! Fresh flavored rice, hot beans and cool guacamole on the top. You can recreate the similar magic in your dorm room with a few simple ingredients and creativity. What makes this burrito bowl so special is the number of different permutations to suit your individual preferences.

You will need-

1. 1 bowl rice (you can purchase a bowl for $1.50 at 64 Degrees)
  2. 1 portion of tofu (also available at 64 Degrees)
  3. ½ cup of black beans (canned)
  4. 1 tablespoon plain Greek yogurt
  5. Diced avocado
  6. Tomato salsa/ Salsa verde or enchilada sauce
  7. Shredded cheese
  8. Meat or vegetables
  9. 1 diced tomato (optional)
  10. Tortilla chips (optional)

Step 1- Combine rice, beans, yogurt, meat/tofu/vegetables (upon preference) and cheese in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 60 seconds.

Step 2- Mix in 1 diced tomato, half avocado (diced) and salsa to taste. Top off with some cheese and serve with tortilla chips (optional)

Quick and Easy Cheesecake

Cheesecake?! Using a microwave?! Making cheesecake in a mug is as easy as saying pie and can offer endless possibilities. Nutella, strawberry jam or chocolate chip, you can experiment to your heart’s desire.

You will need-

1. 60 grams (approximately 2 ounces) of soft cream cheese
  2. 1 egg
  3. ½ teaspoon lemon juice
  4. 2 tablespoons of sour cream
  5. ½ teaspoon vanilla extract (adjust according to preference
  6. 3 tablespoons sugar (adjust according to preference)

Step 1- Combine all ingredients in a microwave safe mug and thoroughly mix. A fork is best as it can mimic the function of a whisk

Step 2- Microwave on high heat for 1.5 to 2 minutes while pausing to stir the mixture as it cooks

Step 3- Freeze the cooked mixture for 2-3 hours.

Optional- Top with fresh fruit, nuts or any topping of your choice.

Let’s keep our food adventures going! Leave us a comment below and tell us about your experiences trying out these quick and easy dorm room treats and if you discovered any interesting tips or tricks that you discovered.