An Open Letter to My Taller But Little Brother

You'll never really get shotgun.

29
Lindsay Duffy

Dear Little Brother,

I just want you to know a few things. Let's begin by saying you'll always be my little brother, no matter how much taller you are than me. I also want you to know that no matter where we end up in life, you will always be one of my best friends. We have a bond that no one else can say they have. You've seen me at my worst and at my best. You've been there for the crazy and the happy. We've literally been through hell and back; then back again to hell. It's a vicious cycle we've been through, but we manage to rise above every time.

As you go forth onto your next great adventure, college, you should know a few things. Always take advantage of anything that involves the word free. Join as many clubs and activities as possible. College only comes once, and every opportunity is open for you if you take it. While you may have friends there, branch out and make more, cause some of my best friends ever have come from college. Listen to your professors and always take notes in every class; no matter what, if the professor says it, chances are that it may show up on the test. Take advantage of extra credit - because it never happens, unless you end up with a chill professor. Learn short cuts from other students, or even older students. Make friends with older students, they know the ins and outs of the school and can help you achieve maximum fun. Even though you hardly ever let me get the words out - keep the slim possibility of joining a fraternity as an option. Not all of them are the jerks that you think you know. Being a part of Greek Life has opened so many doors for me, some that I have explored and other I cannot wait to explore.

While I'm only a few years older than you, I know a few things.These things are important and wise words you should hear, from your super cool sister. When you are away starting on your new adventure, your parents want to hear from you at least once or twice a week - they're making sure you are still alive. Take pictures of all your first year experience because it's your first time being legitimately away from home, and you need documentation of your great times. Don't forget that you have other siblings that have gone to college, and if you need help, you know either of us is only one call away. We can try to save the day. Also don't forgot that I will miss you and miss ranting to you about my day, so don't forget about me either, and laughing at you when you do silly things - such as singing, dancing and being more obnoxious than me.

Love,

Your older, prettier, much wiser and greater sister

P.S. I'm going to be the favorite now.

P.S.S. Love ya always, brat!

Enjoy! Cheers!