Here's Why We Shouldn't Take Life For Granted

And take a look at things from a different perspective.

6538
Photo by Jordan Collins

It's easy for me to say that I take life for granted.

I complain about the most insignificant of things: I only got five hours of sleep, I didn't get that cookie I wanted, or maybe I was late for school. First world problems, am I ringing a bell with any of you?

And I know it's all relative to how you live. I was born in a fairly privileged home, with a childhood where I was lovingly taken care of and spoiled.

It's easy to get lost in your own little world, isn't it? It's easy to get consumed with likes on Instagram, or your bae not texting you back, or perhaps the drama with that girl saying things behind your back. It's easy to complain that your Starbucks drink was made too hot, or that your favorite top sold out in your size. And we take things for granted.

Then something happens, and everything is put into perspective. Recently, there was a death in my hometown, of a young girl that I went to high school with, a girl that I had classes with. Maybe I didn't know her personally, but it still hit me. She was my age. She was a blossoming young woman that was taken too soon from this world. And here I was, typing on my computer, probably cursing at the slow internet, a completely different life.

I see this everyday. My walk to both work and school requires me to stroll through downtown, and everyday, I pass homeless people on the street: fort of garbage built to protect them from the elements and enable them a single night's rest. And then there's me: asleep in my cozy bed with an abundance of pillows and blankets, soft ocean music playing in the background to help lull me to sleep. We're both human beings, yet we both life drastically different lifestyles.

It's about appreciating what you have, about loving your life. If we continue to focus on what we don't have, what we once appreciated will become something in the past, something we once had. Life is incredibly precious, and we're only given one. Embrace each day with a positive mindset, don't sweat the little stuff, and learn to be selfless. Be kind to everyone, for others will treat you as you want to be treated. In one second, your life can go from light to dark. Thank your parents for how well they've supported you. Tell your family you love them every day. Compliment that girl with the pretty hair, not from a place of jealousy, but a place of praise and with the purpose of uplifting someone.

Too often, we get lost in the insignificant matters in life, nit-picking our way through an otherwise beautiful existence. We mustn't concern ourselves with issues that bring us feelings of hatred or negativity. Step back and look at things from a humbling perspective because life is too short. It's too precious, and frankly, you never know when things could go terribly downhill.

Live your life. Love it, and appreciate it, because gosh darnit, it's the only life we've got.