What Happens When You take A Break From Your Phone

Taking A Break From My Phone Showed Me Life Without A Filter

We're on our phones basically 24/7, so why not put it down for a while?

340
https://pixabay.com/en/social-media-media-board-networking-1989152/
Steven Panicko

Technology is a huge part of our everyday lives, as we spend nearly all day looking down at those screens we have in our hands. We spend so much time with our phones that we begin to feel a separation anxiety when we don't have them on us and always have an urge to look at them while we are in class and are at work. I will even admit, I'm guilty of being on my phone way too much. Even when I am just sitting at home on the couch watching TV, I'll be mindlessly scrolling through social media liking, favoriting, retweeting, etc. So for a few days, I decided to take a break from my phone. I woke up, told my friends my plan, and then for the rest of the day I kept my phone on a charger in my room so I would not be tempted to look at it.

I'll admit, at first it was really hard for me not to look at my phone because I became so accustomed to being on it all day and I did feel that separation anxiety while not having it on me. But after a while, I honestly started feeling better and free of that constant feeling that I had to text back and send a Snapchat back as soon as possible. I was finally in control of my day instead of having my phone practically take over it. I generally felt happier and began to see more simple pleasures of the day, like enjoying the nice weather outside while laying in a hammock or playing fetch with my dog in the yard.

Taking a break from my phone was honestly one of the best decisions I've made because it was nice to finally break up with my phone for a bit and not feel so tied down.

So you may be asking yourself, what happens if you take a break from your phone for a couple days or even just a day? You begin to realize just how obsessive you have become with it and how hooked on certain social media apps you have become. Like for me, my biggest addiction was to Snapchat. Every day I feel like I'm always on that app keeping all my streaks with all my friends and responding instantly. But taking a break from my phone really made me realize that it's really not that important and there are so many other things I could be doing with my time. So if you feel like you could use some time away from your phone, I highly suggest giving it a try. You will become a happier person and realize you truly do not need to be on your phone that often.