Feel-good news from the week of 1/26/20.
This past week there were amazing discoveries that will change people's lives, generous acts of kindness from a Super Bowl champion, and even a microbrewery that helped a dog find its home after three years.
Sure, we live in a time when the news seems perpetually dark and dreary but there are incredible things happening in our world every day.
Here's a roundup of the nine best pieces of news you may have missed from the week of January 26.
1. U.S. life expectancy rose for the first time in four years as drug overdoses and cancer deaths dropped.
Some good news for a change: Cancer death rates in the US have posted the biggest one-year decline ever & life expe… https://t.co/Viv8e8HsO6— David Sinclair, PhD (@David Sinclair, PhD) 1580509026.0
2. This 8-year-old boy paid off his whole school's lunch debt with handmade key chains
With his handmade key chains that go for $5 each, this 8-year-old boy raised $4,015 to erase the lunch debt of stud… https://t.co/795jMUpZKb— CNN (@CNN) 1580822257.0
3. Defensive Tackle Derrick Nnadi, of the Kansas City Chiefs, paid off all adoption fees for animals at a shelter in Kansas City
Chiefs player pays adoption fee for all shelter dogs after Super Bowl victory https://t.co/qjeL6drS1T— FORTUNE (@FORTUNE) 1580750507.0
4. A Denver nonprofit is creating "Instant Housing" for the homeless population
Nonprofit Colorado Coalition for the Homeless turns old Quality Inn in Denver into instant housing for the city's d… https://t.co/GDeHBpn006— Innovative Influencers (@Innovative Influencers) 1580658042.0
5. Ellen Degeneres gave one student a $20k scholarship after he was told he needed to cut his dreads to stay in school
Black Teen, Who Says School Told Him to Cut His Dreadlocks, Gets Scholarship from Ellen DeGeneres https://t.co/bjxV2nSrPN— People (@People) 1580364240.0
6. The first treatment for peanut allergies just got FDA approved
The first treatment for peanut allergies has been approved by U.S. regulators, a specially prepared peanut powder t… https://t.co/Ms7RBHBISU— AP Health & Science (@AP Health & Science) 1580511945.0
7. A microbrewery helped a woman find her lost dog of three years
It's been three years since a beloved family dog, Hazel, went missing in Iowa. Now she is set to be reunited with h… https://t.co/kjWk7nUvtL— CNN (@CNN) 1580926206.0
8. Barbie launched a series of dolls that have vitiligo, a prosthetic leg, and a bald head
.@Barbie is more diverse than ever with its recent launch of dolls that have vitiligo, a prosthetic leg and a bald… https://t.co/Cpjrr1zuu8— DoSomething (@DoSomething) 1580918437.0
9. This teacher became a U.S. citizen and all of her elementary school students showed up to support her
This teacher celebrated becoming US citizen with her students by her side! https://t.co/Dn8UoN3HGB https://t.co/7RPuAVi92t— Good Morning America (@Good Morning America) 1579996800.0