Syrian Refugees, Who Are They Really?

Syrian Refugees, Who Are They Really?

It's Time We Start Truly Helping These Displaced Men, Women, And Children

12
Syrian Refugees, Who Are They Really?
UN.org

Imagine, falling asleep and waking up to gun shots, bombs, and screams echoing throughout the streets. Trying to fall asleep not knowing if you'll make it to the next daylight. Most people cannot imagine living a life such as the one explained. Syrian men, women, and children experience the horrors of war on a daily basis. Many families do not want to leave their homes, however, they do not have much of a choice. These families had to make a decision of whether to stay in their homes or lose their lives.

The text book definition of a refugee is, "someone who is forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution, or natural disaster." There is currently a global crisis concerning Syrian refugees. According to a poll taken by World Vision there are currently 4.5 million refugees that have fled Syria and 6.5 million are displaced within Syria, half of which are children. Some refugees have been away from their homes for the past seventeen years even though the civil war between the Islamic state and the Syrian government has been going on since 2012. However, most know that war in the Middle East has been continuous for over a decade now.

Continuous bombings and shootings from the Islamic state, Syrian Government, and the United States have caused many civilian casualties. According to New York Times magazine, it has been recorded that there have been 28,277 deaths due to mass killings and shootings; 27,000 civilians were killed by mortars, artillery and rocket attacks. Deaths caused by the Syrian government air attacks were at least 18,866. There were at least 8,871 civilians killed after being kidnapped, detained, and tortured. Not to mention the 984 civilians who were killed by exposure to chemical or toxic substances. Due to attacks on hospitals at least 654 medical workers were killed in those attacks. The lack of basic medical care and food killed at least 565 civilians. Children often suffer the most and go without education, food or shelter, causing them to be malnourished and fall victim to abuse and illnesses.

It is obvious that these refugees need the help of other countries whether it be in North America or in Europe. However, there is a risk when accepting these refugees. It cannot be determined whether or not the people being given refuge are terrorists or just average citizens. Although, we cannot determine who these people are, it does not mean we cannot offer them help. If the United States and other countries were to accept women and children into their homes, then they could live a relatively normal life. As previously stated, the Syrian refugees do not have any other choice than to leave their homes. Like all of us, Syrian refugees deserve peace.

This war is no longer a war among religions. This war has become a war of greed and control over the country. Muslims are not to blame for the terrors of what is going on in the world; people who are ill and obsessed with power are. There are ways for people to reach out and help these refugees and give them a friend where they only believed they had enemies. By visiting RefugeeOne.org you can provide donations, or even volunteer to befriend a family of refugees. There is much more good in this world than there is bad, but the bad can get worse, so the good has to be even better. I am asking you to reach out and make a change in the lives of Syrian refugees.