How "Sweet Magnolias" Is Giving Me "Gilmore Girls" Vibes

All the characters are just so lovable from the first 10 minutes of episode one

730

The new Netflix original show "Sweet Magnolias" is giving me major "Gilmore Girls" vibes. I've seen all of "Gilmore Girls" probably at least 12 times (I usually put it on in the background while I'm working) but it's by far one of my top 3 favorites for TV shows until "Sweet Magnolias" came.

1. The town

Both shows are set in small towns in a small community where everyone knows each other. The little town with the gazebo in the center of town is so cute.

2. The characters

All the characters in both shows are just so lovable and even from the first 10 minutes of the first episode, you can't help by being sucked in to the plot.

I would say that Maddie (S.M.) is most similar to Lorelai (G.G.) and that Dana Sue (S.M.) is most similar to Sookie (G.G.) just for a couple of character similarities.

3. The scripts

"Gilmore Girls" was written by Amy Sherman-Palladino and everything is so quick paced that if you've ever noticed, the actors ad actresses don't take gaps or breaths in between sentences. It's just go, go, go, so that they can have as much dialogue and story as possible in 45 minutes.

"Sweet Magnolias" was written by Sheryl J. Anderson but the show was actually based on the books by Sherryl Woods. "Gilmore Girls" didn't have any book series the way Sweet Magnolia does.

4. The relationship dynamics

There are so many interesting relationships in both shows and you can tell where the sparks are. Both shows have valuable lessons on, love, friendships, heartbreaks, humor and so much more. There's the mother-daughter relationship, the best friend relationship, the romantic relationships, just literally everything.

Everything that I have ever loved about "Gilmore Girls" has showed up in "Sweet Magnolias" and I cannot wait for season two to be on Netflix (probably in 2021). But if you have heard of these two shows but never have seen them before, you should go watch them because I can almost guarantee that you will fall in love with them the same way I have.