How To Sustainably Reinvent Yourself

How To Sustainably Reinvent Yourself

Intentional Creativity

96
How To Sustainably Reinvent Yourself
Nychele Kemper

Imagine this: you see a picture online or a person in a coffee shop, and you love everything about their style and how they present themselves. Now you are tempted to completely change everything about yourself to fit with that style. And if you are anything like me, that happens multiple times with a variety of conflicting styles.

It can be really tempting to try and reinvent yourself all at once.

After all, there is no time to lose.

But very few of us have the money or time to completely change everything. And typically, complete makeovers don't last because the change is too drastic and unnatural.

But change is entirely possible, and if you like something, then it is often possible to pursue it. The trick is to look at why you really like a certain style or lifestyle. Is it because the person exudes confidence? Ease? Seems laid-back and chill?

Whatever draws you to like a certain style is what you should pursue. Some styles don't look/work the same on everyone, but if you are going for a chill vibe, then you can find things that help you seem and feel chill.

Another trick is to learn how to differentiate between simply admiring a person and wanting to emulate their vibe. I appreciate people who wear black leather jackets and look BA. I also appreciate people who dress retro or fantastical. But personally, I fit a weird mix of outdoor, pseudo-hipster, with a splash of mountain and boho. Whatever it is, it's mine and it fits my lifestyle.

I used to dress a lot like a stereotypical homeschooler, and part of that was I couldn't find a semi-cohesive style that I liked. But I started to look at why I liked other people's styles and then worked on translating that to my personal preferences.

What made my fashion evolution sustainable was the length of time I took. I didn't go out and buy a whole new wardrobe and haircut. I bought things in my "goal" style as I needed to replace things that were wearing out/being outgrown. I also didn't buy anything that I did not like or anything that I was having to convince myself that I liked to "fit" a certain style. I picked stuff I liked, not stuff I convinced myself I had to like.

Eventually, over a few years, I completely reinvented myself, found a better taste in music, and added some hobbies that I have been wanting to start for years but had never thought that I could. And it was sustainable because I did it slowly, naturally, and by choosing things I actually liked, not things I felt that I should like to fit a mold.

Reinventing yourself is entirely possible, but it often takes longer than most people allow for. It does not usually happen by accident. Create yourself and be intentional. Happy creating.