Why You Should Support Local Bands, As Told By Local Bands

"Local bands are the backbone of every music scene."

250
Christian Lawrence, Final Reprise Media

It's no secret that local bands are underrepresented in the music industry. It's upsetting to hear especially because they are some of the most if not the most hardworking musicians in the music industry.

The majority of us have no idea that local bands are out there trying to become our next favorite band. In fact, some of us don't even know about the countless amounts of shows that are cheaper, closer and more intimate than the shows our current favorite bands put on.

There are actually so many reasons you should support your local bands, so let's take a look at what local bands themselves have to say to get you to support their music, hard work and endless hours of dedication.

1. In Loving Memory (New York, NY)

Displaying IMG_1952.JPG“If you see a band in your scene pumping out great music and working hard to reach success, support them. Go to their shows, sing their words to them, buy their merch. When bands see this kind of support, that’s when they get the morale to push further. From a musician's perspective, when that feeling happens, it’s life changing.”

2. Zoúme (New York, NY)

"Every band out there was once a local band, so everyone starts somewhere."

3. Counter Theory (Valparaiso, IN)

“Our shows are cheaper, we'll talk to you after the show, and we actually appreciate our fans.”

4. Trail To Tomorrow (Marlboro Township, NJ)

“We work hard to have an original sound instead of following trends.”

5. Bailout 42 (Rockville Center, NY)

“Because that band could become the next Green Day or Blink-182.”

6. Dreams Of You (Chicago, IL)

“Because most musicians use music as a way to help others through the struggles in life. People should support local bands to help expose their music more to help others find a brighter side to a harsh life. People should support local bands because it's not only a passion, but a lifestyle. I've sacrificed many things I enjoyed doing for something that I love doing. Music.”

7. Succumb To Glory (Alexandria, VA)

"Life is tough and a lot of guys in bands are working minimum wage jobs, trying to pay rent while making time for music too. You don't have to pay for every little thing but please buy merch and go to shows. Especially with local bands, most shows are only $10 for four plus hours. And if that $10 is doable then think about at least dropping a couple bucks on a CD or sticker just to support... you don't have to spend more than a couple bucks to make a difference."

8. Until We Get Caught (Staten Island, NY)

"Never bad mouth a local band; you never know what that band can accomplish."

9. Gone Missing (Huntsville, AL)

"Local bands are the backbone of every music scene; they're the ones going out there and constantly hitting the pavement just to get noticed a little bit more; they're also the ones who strive to network with other locals to bring more attention to the scene which benefits everyone involved."

10. Our Moms Drove Us Here (Denville, NJ)

"You'll meet some of the coolest, most down to earth and most supportive people. You'll honestly create a whole new network of friends."

11. Slackline (Fort Smith, AR)

“If the music is good (this is important), then they may very well become more than local bands. Also, it can be quite eventful if your scene is buzzing. Good times for all! It compounds upon itself.”

12. Better Halves (St. Louis, MO)

“Showing up early to shows and seeing the openers could help you find your new favorite band.”

13. Ruminate (New Jersey)

“We cry a lot and are generally sad.”

14. Vitruvia (Reading, PA)

"We go hard live, we love to give hugs and enjoy taking long walks on the beach."