The 9 Best Summer-Proof Makeup Hacks To Combat Those Sweltering Summer Days

The dreaded heat wave meltdown is coming. Stop it before it comes to a makeup look near you.

1084
Flickr

The summer goddess glow is in full swing, but so is the potential for a heat wave meltdown. Dripping foundation, transferring eyeshadow, and mascara that won’t stay put are the unwanted side effects of the rising temps. To transition into the summer months hassle free, you need to be equipped with the right tools in your makeup bag. It’s time to summer-proof your makeup look for 2018.

1. Primer

Prepping your skin is essential for maintaining longevity in any makeup look. A simple misting primer or a more intense balm or silicone based primer will ensure that any sweat that you are producing has to go through another layer of product before reaching the surface of your skin. An oil-free primer is preferable!

2. Setting powder

If you are a full glam gal whether it is 10 degrees or 100 degrees, setting powder is your BFF. Layer a thin coat of powder onto cream or liquid products to make sure that they stay put and that your dewy finish doesn’t cross into uncharted territory.

3. Setting spray

After you have completed your look, set it! You wouldn't leave styled hair without a mist of hairspray, so why leave a makeup look without setting spray? Opt for a long lasting or oil preventing spray for the longest lasting results.

4. Blotting sheets

Sometimes, even with primer and setting powder, oily skin just won’t cooperate. We all want to glow but would appreciate looking a little less like the tin man if possible. Thankfully, many companies have come up with portable blotting sheets to keep your look fresh throughout the day. Remember to blot carefully instead of rubbing sheets on oily spots to avoid removing makeup.

5. Waterproof mascara

In the summertime, waterproof mascara is a must. Whether swimming or simply entering the heat, the oil base of waterproof mascara will prevent the transfer of mascara onto the oily skin.

6. Liquid lipsticks

Traditional lipsticks and lipglosses should be ditched for the summer and traded for longer lasting products such as lip stains and liquid lipsticks. This will prevent the transfer from the heat, when sipping on your favorite refresher from Starbucks, or if you happen to make a spontaneous trip to the pool.

7. SPF foundation and/or moisturizer

SPF is always important to ensure the protection of your skin from the sun’s damaging rays, but it becomes even more important come summertime. Change out your regular moisturizer and foundation for ones with SPF to keep your skin protected.

8. A little goes a long way

With any products used in the heat, using less is best. Thick layers will only turn to melted cakey ones and won’t give you the desired result. Let summer be the time to lighten your makeup routine and give skin a chance to breathe by lightening your hand with products.

9. Look but don’t touch

The most important tip for makeup longevity is by far the hardest. Resist the urge to touch your face! Touching your face will only increase oil transfer and will smear makeup on oily skin. At all costs- resist the urge.

Put your best skin forward this summer and take control of your look.