3 YA Duologies You Must Read
Books Lit

3 YA Duologies You Must Read

Two books are better than one!

159
3 YA Duologies You Must Read
Picture by Chloe Crist

During the summer I think of all the free time I have and automatically start filling it in with potential books. I also find it best to read series close to each other, especially those YA fantasy/sci-fi series that use a lot of specific terms and universe rules. This summer, I'm making it a goal to finish/start series that I've had sitting on my shelf for a while, or have sequels coming out in the next year or so. Here are three duologies I recommend picking up!

1. The Life and Death of Zebulon Finch by Daniel Kraus

The first series I'm recommending has been sitting on my shelf for over a year, and that's because it's massive. Both the first and second book in "The Life and Death of Zebulon Finch" series is 600-700+ pages long. To put it in perspective, I could use this duology to knock someone out if I needed to. The story itself follows a seventeen-year-old gangster born in the late 1800s, who is one day murdered. But then he wakes up; the story follows his life as he remains a 17-year-old for over a century.

2. Magonia/Aerie by Maria Dahvana Headley

Back when I read the first book, "Magonia," I was head-over-heels in love with it. While it wasn't completely perfect character-wise, I found the idea of taking what seemed to be a contemporary story and twisting it into a fantastical adventure very charming and unexpected! When "Aerie" was published, I was beyond excited, but still have yet to read it. The reason this duology is on the list is because I highly recommend the first book and have high expectations for the next!

3. Carry On/Wayward Son by Rainbow Rowell

If you've been on the internet recently, you may have heard that Rainbow Rowell's "Carry On" is getting a sequel in 2020. I may be jumping the gun a little on this one, but I'm beyond excited! I know there are mixed reviews on this Harry Potter/Fangirl Fanfiction spin-off book, but I found the idea for the book charming. I'm even more excited to see a book in which Simon and Baz are already an established couple and graduated out of the Hogwarts-esque wizard high school. While it may come across as fanfiction-esque, I believe this series stands out from current YA series because it's exploring storylines that most people assume is saved for fanfiction. Regardless, not much is known about the book itself yet, but I'm excited, and recommend giving "Carry On" a read before 2020.