Summer Book Guide

7 Young Adult Reads You Won't Be Able To Put Down This Summer

Everyone needs a good beach read.

168
Megi Mecolli
Megi Mecolli

Summer is upon us, and with it brings now bouts of free time. What better way to fill that time than by starting a new book? Here are seven books and series whose fun and whimsical plots will make your summer!

1. "The Summer I Turned Pretty" series by Jenny Han

We all know Jenny Han for her hit Lara Jean trilogy, inspiring the movie adaptions of "To All The Boys I've Loved Before." But Han's first series, a fun summer trilogy, is the perfect set of beach reads! "The Summer I Turned Pretty" follows Isabella "Belly" Conklin as she navigates one of her summers alongside the Fisher brothers, Jeremiah and Conrad. She's known them forever, but in the summer she "turns pretty," new romances and adventures arise.

2. "Geekerella" by Ashley Poston

Calling all nerds, Ashley Poston's ode to fan culture, "Geekerella," is the perfect tribute to all things geeky. A retelling of Cinderella, "Geekerella" follows Elle, a devoted fan of the hit sci-fi show Starfield, as the news of a film reboot of the show strikes nerds everywhere, resulting in a cosplay contest at her late father's convention. What Elle doesn't know is that the actor playing her favorite character, Darien Freeman, is nervous to play the role, knowing it has such a huge following. When Darien accidentally contacts Elle to get out of the convention, both teens engage in an unlikely but entertaining friendship.

3. "To Kill A Kingdom" by Alexandra Christo

Retellings of classic fairytales are everywhere, so it's the perfect time to pick up Alexandra Christo's intriguing retelling of "The Little Mermaid" In "To Kill A Kingdom," siren princess Lira is the most lethal of her kind, and has taken the hearts of several human princes. When disaster forces Lira's hand, she is punished by her ruthless mother to become human and steal the heart of Prince Elian, the pirate prince who calls the sea home. Full of adventure and action, "To Kill A Kingdom" is an homage to one of our favorite fairytales, with a deep, dark, intriguing twist.

4. "Alex, Approximately" by Jenn Bennett

Summer is the perfect time for fun romances, and "Alex, Approximately" is no exception to that trend. Avid classic movie fan Bailey moves across the country to sunny California to live with her father in the same town that her online crush, whom she knows as Alex, lives. When Bailey starts a job at the local museum, she finds a new enemy in security guard Porter, but what she doesn't know is that beneath the snark and good looks, Porter is actually Alex. In this fun teen take on "You've Got Mail," "Alex, Approximately" is bound to be your next favorite beach read.

5. "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" series by Rick Riordan

One of the most classic summertime series of all time, Rick Riordan's "Percy Jackson" series is the perfect set of books to either start for the first or dozenth time. If you're new to Riordan's series, it follows Percy Jackson as he discovers that he is the son of Poseidon, the Greek god of the sea. Ushered into a summer camp for other demigods like him, Percy must learn to stay alive in this world of gods and monsters while ancient prophecies arise in his hometown of New York City.

6. "Stalking Jack the Ripper" series by Kerri Maniscalco

If you're looking for a dark and thrilling series, look no further. Kerri Maniscalco's "Stalking Jack the Ripper" series takes us back to the Victorian world of the late nineteenth century, following Audrey Rose Wadsworth and her partner in crime-solving, Thomas Cresswell, as they solve mysteries and murders related to their medicinal studies. From stopping serial killers to discovering the truth behind urban legends, Audrey Rose and Thomas's adventures are bound to keep you entertained all summer long.

7. "Summer Days and Summer Nights" by Various Authors

If you still need more summer stories, check out the anthology 'Summer Days and Summer Nights'! Featuring hit authors like Leigh Bardugo and Cassandra Clare, the anthology features various short stories set in the heat of summer. Full of fun and romance, "Summer Days and Summer Nights" will eat up your time in both!

Which book will you be reading?