The Sudan Crisis Through The Eyes Of A Sudanese Student In America
Currently

An Arizona State University student explains what the Sudan Crisis means to her and her community.

53

An innocent civilian decides to peacefully protest the rising prices of bread and fuel. This person has a likely chance of being captured, raped, tortured, murdered. This person may be blindfolded with cement blocks tied around their feet and tossed into the Nile River.

This is what is happening in Sudan.

Emel Mahadi, 19, is an Arizona State University student majoring in Biological Sciences and Psychology. She also the treasurer for the Sudanese American Association at ASU.

"What's going on in Sudan is horrific and heartbreaking. People are being slaughtered just for peacefully protesting against the government," Mahadi said.

According to Mahadi, the humanitarian crisis Sudan is going through began in December 2018.

"Peaceful protesters took to the streets to protest for a better life and basic human rights, (and in April 2019), after being in power for over 30 years, President Omar Al Bashir was overthrown," Mahadi said.

Mahadi said that once Bashir was overthrown, Abdel Fattah Burhan stepped in to run a military government. In June, a two-month sit-in was in place in front of military headquarters and the peaceful protest was forcefully and violently dispersed, Mahadi said.

"Live ammunition was used against the protesters and tents were burned down by Rapid Security Forces (RSF). The RSF is also known as the Janjaweed militias, and is run by Burhan's second in command, Mohammed Hamadan Dagalo, otherwise known as Hemedti," Mahadi said.

Mahadi explained that the Janjaweed translates to "Devils on Horseback."

The Janjaweed is the same group responsible for the genocide in Darfur, Mahadi said.

"The Janjaweed have already beaten, raped, tortured and murdered hundreds of innocent people. These numbers continue to grow every day. All internet access has been cut off completely in Sudan making it almost impossible for anyone in Sudan to get contact with the outside world," Mahadi said.

According to Mahadi, "more people should care about what's happening in Sudan, whether or not they are Sudanese."

Mahadi said, "it is important to understand and care about what's happening in Sudan because these are humans, just like you and I, who are being beaten and tortured."

"The crisis in Sudan sets an example for other countries. If those countries see that Sudan can get away with murdering hundreds of innocent lives without anybody stepping in, they will inevitably follow in Sudan's footsteps," Mahadi said. "Because when one nation can get away with injustice, other nations will want to as well."

According to Mahadi, "it is very crucial to want to help Sudan during this crisis because the people want nothing less than a civilian-led government and a better life for themselves."

"No one should ever be punished for fighting for anything they believe in, especially if they are fighting for it peacefully," Mahadi said.

Mahadi explained that anyone can help Sudan, not just Sudanese people.

"People can help by donating, spreading awareness and educating people they know such as family and friends about the ongoing situation in Sudan," Mahadi said. "There are a lot of ways to spread awareness. It is especially helpful to share anything you see about Sudan and tag new stations, journalists, celebrities and everyone and anyone you can think of."

Mahadi lists different hashtags an individual could use: #IAmTheSudanRevolution, #SudanUprising, #SudanRevolts, #MattarBlue, #BlueForSudan, #PrayForSudan, #Sudan.

Mahadi also lists accounts to follow for updates and news on Sudan: @realrameydawould, @ehabthebeast, @BSonBlast, @yousraelbagir, and @sudaneseaa.asu.

"By using these hashtags on your post or stories about Sudan, it will reach more people. Another great way to help is by attending local protests in your community," Mahadi said.

According to Mahadi, the best ways to help Sudan is to donate, raise awareness and to educate yourself and others.

"Thank you so much to everyone that has been supportive by donating, spreading awareness and doing the best you can to help Sudan. You are very much appreciated. Sudan will be free because we are stronger when we come together. We are one," Mahadi said.