ariana grande and pete davidson engagement hate
Dating

It’s Time To Stop Hating On Ariana Grande and Pete Davidson’s Relationship

Please stop.

237
Instagram @arianagrande

In case you haven't heard, Ariana Grande and Pete Davidson are engaged! While this is assumedly an exciting time for the couple, as it would be for most engaged couples, there has been a lot of people commenting about how quickly the couple got engaged. From "that escalated quickly" to "girl we know you love him but are you dumb" there has been an overwhelmingly large negative response to the couple's engagement. And honestly? It's tiring.

Now, let me throw in here that I am not really a fan of either of these people in the sense that I wouldn't put myself in their fan base. I've listened to a few of Ariana's songs and watched Pete on SNL, but I would never say that I belong in their fan base. So, I don't have a need to defend this couple out of fan adoration or anything. I'm defending them simply because I am tired of seeing them get bashed on. Yes, their relationship might have moved quickly, but that does not mean they won't last. Even if they do breakup soon, we all need to stop hating on their relationship.

Instagram: @arianagrande

How would you like it if you were in a relationship and one of your friends told you how much they disapproved of your relationship? You probably wouldn't like it much right? Now, consider how you would feel if they started posting their feelings publicly. Again, you probably wouldn't like that. I know I wouldn't. So then why does everyone think it's okay to publicly rail against Pete and Ariana's relationship and subsequently their engagement? I have yet to see more than a handful of articles congratulating Pete and Ariana and have instead been bombarded with dislike of how quickly their relationship moved, their tattoos of each other, and anything else people can complain about.

I also don't want to hear the "they're celebrities so it's fine" argument. Yes, they are celebrities, and yes that does mean that their lives will be in the spotlight more, but that doesn't mean they aren't still people who have feelings. Just because they're more famous than a lot of us does not mean that people should feel they have the right to so publicly hate on the relationship. I'm not saying don't disapprove, I'm just saying disapproval in private is much different than disapproval in public.

I'm not asking people to stop talking about their engagement because a) I know it wouldn't work and b) I don't think that's necessary. What I am asking is that we show a bit more support and a bit less hate. Going back to that old adage: If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. If you don't like their relationship, don't comment. Because it's tiring seeing people constantly bashing people they don't know about a relationship they only have a limited view of.