Colbert's Glorious Reaction To Trump's Insult

"Don't throw me in that #Briarpatch," says Brer Rabbit.

19
YouTube

Last week "Time" ran an article about Trump's opinion of the various media. On the topic of "The Late Show," Trump commented Colbert was a "no-talent guy" and had super low rating before he started attacking the president. While Colbert's ratings have improved since Trump, they were certainty not low enough before "to take him off television," as Trump said.

Trump was asked about Colbert because of the oral-sex joke told earlier this month. The controversy was probably unnecessary, which I wrote about last week. In fact that controversy likely only added to Colbert's publicity and fan base more than any potential damage... just like what happened next.

Because if you were like me you didn't hear about Trump addressing Colbert until this monologue:

And let me tell you how exciting this moment was. The thought of "well this is going to be good," rushed over me: one of the "viewers at home." That rush also found the live audience. The excitement was dripping off of Colbert himself as well.

"The President of the United States has personally come after me and my show, and there's only one thing to say... (mischievous laughter) yay!"

And of course the audience chanted "Stephen" reminiscent of how episodes of "The Colbert Report" would often begin.

Colbert pointed out the obvious that this could only help his show, and since he's been trying for a year to get Trump to say his name, Colbert "won."

Then through his victory, Colbert slammed Trump for his Access Hollywood bus tape, his Late Show interview having less ratings than Jeb Bush's, and having historically low approval ratings, all in a magical twist of Colbert-style wit.

The "don't throw me into the briar patch" comment showcased just that. It was referencing the folklore of a rabbit tricking a fox into throwing him into a briar patch by pretending it would be terrible, when in fact it was where he thrived.

Then of course Colbert pointed out that if making fun of Trump was such a good boost for the show, it's only because the majority of Americans didn't want Trump to be president in the first place.

Colbert added, "If you really want to take me down, there's an obvious way... resign."

Yes, please resign, President Trump. I mean that definitely wouldn't ruin Colbert, but you should definitely still do it.

In the "Time" article Trump said, "It only builds up my base." Really? I mean I definitely can't speak for that base, but I know it builds up Colbert's. Does your base even care? Why are you obsessing over this? All of your celebrity feuds before, and especially after becoming the President have only made you look extremely petty, immature, and embarrassingly unqualified for any position of power.

There is really nothing pro-Trump that Trump couldn't have gotten out of this. He really should have just kept his mouth shut.

Though we're all really glad he didn't.