Staying Healthy Second Semester

Staying Healthy Second Semester

4

As we near the end of the second semester before summer, it can be challenging to find the mindset and motivation to finish strong. Therefore, as things become chaotic find several techniques that will help you persevere. The most helpful thing you can do is set your priorities straight. Every person has their own way of making things work. I personally have a time for my studies, my faith and myself. Forget about schoolwork for a few seconds. Think about your lifestyle. Are you healthy, happy and organized? If not, now is a good time to make that change. Start eating healthy and working out. These two things can change your whole perspective. With only a few months left of classes there are many strategies you can use to be successful with your class work and your personal life.  First, organize your planner with all important test, quizzes and homework grades. Next, fill in your work schedule if you have a job and then your personal activities. If you set up your planner with schoolwork first, following work and play then you will find a successful schedule. The reason you are in college is to obtain an education, therefore, schoolwork comes before social obligations. 

Second, form study groups with your fellow classmates. Having a study group can help you understand the material from different perspectives. Also, someone else may have caught information in lecture that you might have missed. If you prefer studying alone, you should at least compare your notes to someone else’s. 
Next, read your textbook and break the readings up into smaller sections. This will help you focus on smaller amounts at a time and remembering the material will not be as challenging. For myself, reading three chapters the day before an exam would be nearly impossible to obtain all the information being presented. Prepare ahead of time because cramming for a test the day before is more than likely not a good idea. 
Lastly, try to get to know your professors and build a relationships with them. Down the road you may need a recommendation letter and trying to get one from a professor that doesn’t remember you might be difficult. If you are genuinely concerned about a grade in one of your classes, don’t wait till the last second to go talk to your professor. Go as soon as possible and they would be more than willing to help or at least tell you what you can change to be more successful in the class.Having a planner, forming study groups, reading the textbook and completing all the assignments and building relationships with your professors will enable you to have a successful semester. 
Also, finding a time to have to yourself and time for your personal interests will help relieve stresses that school may be causing. Don’t be scared to ask for help from your classmates or your professors. The faculty is more than willing to help you out. Finish this semester strong and use these strategies to finish your semester strong with both good grades and a happy lifestyle.