A Spontaneous Trip to New Mexico

A Spontaneous Trip to New Mexico

A story about my trip to Eagle Nest, New Mexico

146
A Spontaneous Trip to New Mexico
Jeep Tour

This trip will always be high on my list of vacations because it was one of the most beautiful places that I have been to.

It was for my grandmas birthday, and my mom, brother, grandma, and I decided three days before we went that we wanted to go. So we got a 3-day reservation for a hotel, packed our bags, and headed off. The drive is six hours from where I live, so we arrived when it was dark. The hotel we stayed at was called the Laguna Vista Lodge, and it doesn't look like much from the outside, but the inside is beautiful. It didn't take long before we were all in bed asleep.

Laguna Vista Lodge

Ashleigh Gill

The next day, we all got up and immediately went outside, and I almost cried because I had never seen anything like it before. Mountains were surrounding us, and the lodge had a beautiful garden. The air was crisp, and the sky was blue, so we decided that we wanted to take a boat tour on Eagle Nast Lake. So we drove to the docks and did just that, but there was a storm forming, so our visit didn't last long, but we got to see so much. After we got back from our tour, we had dinner just down the road. That was all that happened on the first day because we got rained out, but we didn't mind.

Garden in front of Laguna Vista Lodge

Ashleigh Gill

Town of Eagle Nest, NM

Ashleigh Gill

The second day we went to Red River, NM and spent our day there. We went to different shops, and I got a ring that I wear every day to remind me of this trip. We had asked some of the locals what the best thing to do was while we were there and almost every one of them said to take a jeep tour in the mountains. The jeep tour was four hours, two up the mountain and two down. So we did it, and it was the best thing that we did. While on the tour we stopped next to a cave that we could venture into, so the tour guide took my brother and I and a few other people inside. It was dark and damp, but it was a cool experience. After we did that they took us to the top of one of the mountains and the view was gorgeous and it was about to rain, so there was a rainbow over one of the mountains. Unfortunately, it began raining again, so we had to go back down but let me tell you, going down is the greatest part. There are bumps, so it makes the experience more fun. If I ever go back, that is definitely on my to-do list.

Jeep tour

Ashleigh Gill

Jeep tour

Ashleigh Gill

A cave from the Jeep tour

Ashleigh Gill

The day that we had to leave, there was a flea market happening at the Enchanted Eagle Park, so we decided to look around before we left. There were so many stands to buy things from so we walked around because it was a nice day. There was live music and kettle corn, so of course, we had to buy some. After we sat and listened to the music for a while, we had to leave and go back home. On the way out of Eagle Nest, we drove through a canyon, and it was amazing.

Ashleigh Gill

If you ever want to visit New Mexico, you need to visit Eagle Nest and Red River. It will be one of the greatest things you ever do.